Saturday, February 24, 2024

Former Winn-Dixie #416 - Pinson, AL

 

King's Home Thrift | Former Winn-Dixie #416

Pinson Valley Shopping Center

4496 Center Point Road

Pinson, AL 35126


Marketplace Madness 2024:  Something Old

A Diamond in the Rough: A Companion to my post covering Winn-Dixie #500

Welcome back to My Florida Retail Blog!  It's been a hot minute since you've seen me here, but I suppose what better way to return from my hiatus than to kick off this year's edition of Marketplace Madness.  


The first two chronicles will be served up here on MFR while the last two will find themselves right at home over on The Sing Oil Blog.  As you may have seen mentioned elsewhere, this mini-series will consist of four beefy posts involving "Something Old", "Something New", "Something Borrowed", and "Something Blue".  I'll leave you to marinate on what I mean by the latter three categories, but the first one should become obvious pretty dern quick.

We kicked off last year's festivities by experiencing the wonders of the Winn-Dixie Marketplace & Food Pavilion concept with a textbook example from Pensacola and a modern adaptation in Columbus; this was followed by a tour through a rare Pub-Dixie in Chattanooga which left little to be desired.  This year, I decided to up the ante with four posts covering a diverse subset of both current and former Winn-Dixies.  All four of these stores have taught me a great deal about the journey of the Floridian grocer as it rose to the title of "America's Supermarket", descended to the depths of a dated discount grocer, and reemerged as a formidable competitor to Publix (only to send shockwaves with the news of German retailer, Aldi, acquiring the storied supermarket).

The store we will explore today was brought to my attention following an impulsive road trip to document Pinson, AL's current WD nearly two years ago.  After recognizing the building from the street, I didn't think to stop in until I reviewed some Google Maps photos back at home.  I knew I had to return.

So, what do you say, how about we open up our winn-dow to the past and reflect on what old #416 has to show us.

According to the Jefferson County Property Appraiser, the original Pinson Winn-Dixie structure has a completion date of 1985, which roughly lines up with this store's February 1986 grand opening.

The Birmingham Post Herald (Newspapers.com) - February 28, 1986

This comes as The Beef People were just beginning to roll out the Marketplace format but weren't entirely sold on the concept for every market.  Instead of getting a flashy new combination store, Pinson received a smaller "Superstore" designed to fit the needs of rural areas, adjoined by a Harco pharmacy next door.

Furthermore, this location never received the Marketplace designation over its tenure as a supermarket, but instead was replaced by Winn-Dixie Marketplace #500 just across the road in 2001.

What's even more surprising is that 15-years was a long time for The Beef People to stick around in a location back in the day.  I've seen stores that barely lasted a decade before they were replaced, or at a minimum, expanded to a full Marketplace.  Rather than tacking on more square footage, though, this location remained largely untouched for its entire life . . .

We'll begin our tour of this "Winn-Thriftie" with a look at the King's Home Thrift vestibule and checkout counter.  The vinyl wood floors may not be original, but the cashier island stands roughly where Winn-Dixie's old check stands were.

I'm inclined to say that the customer service counter would have been off to my left (similar to most 1990's stores), but there's still a chance that it was situated in the center of the vestibule like most 1970's stores.  My hesitation with the latter positioning is because this store doesn't have the signature transom windows that would have accented this space.

Continuing on to the furniture department, we find the reason why we are here (and it's not to listen to some old school R.E.M.):  it's the chrome.


Several months after my visit to WD #500, I was finally vindicated, and my trip back was not for naught.


Now, let's address the elephant in the room:  the suspended chrome structure seen here previously promoted the "produce patch" and provided some eye-popping visuals for shoppers as they entered the store.

Complimenting this structure were some of the original avocado-green floor tiles.  This store may have lacked any of its proper department signage, but it will become very clear that it didn't need any . . .

Courtesy Winn-Dixie (Facebook)

Likewise, Winn-Dixie shared this photo of the department adornments in a similar store so we can see how it was originally configured.  I'd like to point out the banners hanging in the space behind the "produce patch" lettering, which would explain the curtain rod holders still in place in Pinson.  The walls are also noticeably bare in this shot, which makes me think the package designers felt the remaining shiny objects were sufficient enough.

W...W...Why is everything chrome?

We'll take another wide-angle shot of the clothing corner and shoe section before progressing on.  Isn't it nice how this thrift store matched its clothing racks to the existing décor?

Everything is chrome in the future!

Jumping to the other side, we get a better perspective of the odd structure hanging above my head (and the strange flooring transition the thrift store decided on).  I'd say the patch of modern faux wood doesn't quite mesh with boldly muted 1980's vinyl.  Then again, did avocado green ever pair well with mustard yellow?

Winn-Dixie Chrome Interior Department Decoration - Reflected Ceiling Plan

It's a bit hard to tell how the department decoration is shaped, so I tried to mock it up with a reflected ceiling plan (picture yourself standing on a mirrored floor that reflects the above ceiling) in Paint. I neglected to add the pendant light in the middle and the old banners, but you can nonetheless get the picture.  The top of this graphic faced the checkout lines and featured the "Produce Patch" neon, while the left side faced the front wall, and the right side faced the rear.

He's lying!

Turning along the right wall of the store, we are greeted by many more clothes and many more fun tile colors.

He's right!

The transition to the rosy-brown tile indicates that we have now entered the old floral department.  I'd have to imagine that the opposite side of the angled department decoration previously stated such as well.

In the back right corner, we find our next tile design which originally graced either the seafood counter or the breakfast & luncheon meat cases. 

The reason why I'm unsure is because I've seen similar stores place their seafood counter here and I know this location had a "Fisherman's Wharf" based on several newspaper ads.  On the other hand, this tile doesn't stick out much farther than an old meat case would, and the ceiling and walls don't appear to have been patched by the thrift store.

The strip of orange tiles also looks like something that would line the rear raceway to guide shoppers around the store; I could be wrong though.

The final thing that brings me pause is this section of flooring/ceiling that obviously served as a service department at one point.  I'm not sure whether The Beef People had a butcher counter in this store, whether it was combined with the seafood counter, or whether there was only a seafood counter, but regardless, I'd guess this is where the sausage was made, so to speak.  From bouncing babies to reclining retirees, this store can meet all your needs from cradle to grave!

If you still can't figure out how this store was laid out, make sure to reflect back on my tour of Winn-Dixie #168 in Chiefland while I reflect on the produce department chrome.

Continuing on, we find more of the reddish/orange tile beyond the mystery service department to accentuate this wonderful display of window blinds and wine racks.

Turning back toward the front, we find a mysterious blue section of flooring that can only mean one thing:  frozen foods. 

I suppose this former Winn-Dixie is "frozen" in time – all we need is a line of coffin coolers running down the middle and we'd be in business!

In case you are interested in a decade-old copy of Good Housekeeping, you can save 15% on it every Thursday if you are over the age of 65 or save 15% any day if you bring in your church bulletin!  Now I just wonder how that works for churches that don't print bulletins anymore . . . or if the discounts stack.

Why don't you take a seat while you meat your brand new (at least to you) floral-patterned sofa!

Those chairs are perfectly placed in case you need to wait for somebody to use the restroom; unsurprisingly, these are also unchanged from how WD left them (as are the chrome cart bumpers protecting the corners; how befitting).

Future!  Future!  Future!  Future!

Our next department decoration appears in the back left corner of the store above what was previously the dairy area.  Now it may not have any milk, but still has plenty of space for your derriere.

Rounding the corner is some nice orange tile outlining the space, reinforcing the theme that dairy departments weren't always born to be blue . . .

I don't belong here . . . this is all a horrible mistake!

Retail Retell, don't be dismayed, though, despite the orange dairy corner, you could still find a pattern for a full family of Raggedy Ann outfits.  If this doesn't fit the template for today's fun featured product, then I don't know what would!

I've gotta get home – to my own time period!

Tuning around, we see where the orange accents gave way to mustard colored tiles bordered by some quaint brown trim.  The 1980's were quite the time for experimentation for The Beef People.

I'll admit that I wanted to hang out in this store for a while because those chrome accents are so cool!  We can also see where the banners would have been mounted between the two portions of the department decorations.

The time machine is down the hall to the left.

The secondairy portion of the department (okay, I totally had to steal AFB's line there) was situated closer to the old deli / bakery and featured another angled accent mirroring the one over floral.  I presume said sign previously advertised "cheese world", but now simply provides a shattered refraction of the ground we've already covered.

Ah, haha.
Winn-Dixie #168 - 1989 - Chiefland, FL - December 2021

Had this store remodeled to the now infamous Rose & Teal package, here's how it would have been configured.  I'd especially like to point out the distinctly angled soffit over the bakery which was popular in these 1980's stores.  Isn't it crazy how similar my framing is despite these pictures being taken over two years and four-hundred miles apart?!

Regardless, the Chiefland store I toured back in 2022 also would have sported the Chrome interior when it opened in 1989, and it's neat to now have a direct comparison for some of the finishes.

Oops, that one's just the can opener.

If anything, at least this shot gives us a better perspective as to how that chrome thing hanging from the ceiling is shaped!

For being the lamp department, this section of the store was awfully dark!  It also doesn't feel very warm despite being the old bakery department.  I suppose in the 1980's, orange was the new black.

Wow, I wouldn't have chosen this interior.

At least the illuminated tile helped warm up the old deli.  I'm honestly shocked at how well this part of the store cleaned up after all of the nasty supermarket auctions I've seen.

Oh, what's this?

Probably the coolest part of this corner, however, was the old tile pattern pointing shoppers toward these departments.  If this doesn't draw your attention, I don't know what would!

Well, if lamps exist in the future . . .

We'll take one last "behind the scenes" look at the old bakery area . . .

. . . I better go to the past!

. . . followed by another look at the deli . . .

. . . well, we'll just say I thought this part of the store had a number of things worth photographing.  

Also, doesn't the reflection of that "toys" sign in the old cheese mirror make it look like a cartoon grandmother?

This photo of the deli art department is also the perfect time to point out how even the columns in this store were covered in chrome.  THE FUTURE!

The fact that this store was never seemingly designated as a Marketplace leads me to believe that all of the remaining supermarket fixtures are original to this store's 1986 construction.  I guess Winn-Dixie had discontinued the wooden interior by that point, rather than keeping it alive for non-Marketplace outlets like this.


I do have to wonder why there are still cabinets placed where the old deli and bakery cases would have been.  Are these left over fixtures from the old WD?  Did the thrift store just place these to cover up old floor drains, etc.?

That will just have to remain a mystery as we move on to our final department.  The former H&BA aisles featured their own banded grey tile pattern; I'm just not sure whether the old gondola shelves were arranged where the clothing racks are today or whether they were on top of the lighter colored tiles.

I don't believe this location ever had a pharmacy, considering the Harco next door, but these aisles still lined up with where the pharmacy counter would have been.

That will conclude this chapter of Marketplace Madness, but make sure to check back soon for episode 2 – Attack of the Clones Something New.

I'd like to thank The Albertsons Florida Blogger for helping me with some of the information in this post.  After all, he was the one who (somehow) dug up the long lost store number in some old property records and affirmed my assumptions about the tile flooring.

Until next time,

- The Sing Oil Blogger

P.S. If you were completely lost with the photo captions, this video should help.


14 comments:

  1. Anonymous in HoustonFebruary 24, 2024 at 4:29 PM

    Huh, Lucky Buggy Giveaway! I'm guessing if Winn-Dixie had that promotion in Texas, they probably used very different terminology!

    This is a pretty nice looking thrift store aside from some holes in the vinyl flooring throughout the store. At least it doesn't have some tile-scarred concrete though so at least there is that! Oh, yeah, some of the HVAC vents look pretty nasty as well. Those Winn-Dixie HVAC vents look a lot like Kmart's HVAC vents, big and nasty looking through lack of maintenance! Granted, I suppose we can't blame The Beef People for the dirt around these HVAC vents. Oh well, I suppose the mirrored hanging glam might distract people from the shortcomings...kind of like a disco ball!

    I'm not sure why, but that orange wall tile electronics/appliance area kind of reminds me of the old Kmart electronics alcoves even though The Thrift People doesn't have an alcove in that area, not really at least, and the Kmart alcoves didn't have orange wall tile! Still, it is kind of dark there and I guess there was orange around the Kmart electronics alcove. That said, is that a plasma TV for sale next to that DVD-VCR combo? Kmart's electronics alcoves certainly didn't have plasma TVs! Link: https://houstonhistoricretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Kmart_1987.jpg

    Speaking of The Beef People, a new video was uploaded to The Portal of Texas History website showing some outdoor footage of a Dallas area Winn-Dixie in 1986 with an attached Winn-Dixie Handy Man Hardware Center (Winn-Dixie acquired the hardware stores when they purchased Buddies in the 1970s to enter the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in the first place). There isn't a lot to see here, but I'm sure you'd like to see it anyway for some obscure Winn-Dixie history! There's also a little bit of Kroger Greenhouse footage in here as well. Link: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc2213505/m1/

    In case anyone wants some more vintage Kroger footage, check out this also recently uploaded video from 1990! There is a tiny bit of Albertsons coverage in here as well. Hey, this is MFR, I have to throw in a little bit of Albertsons when I can, lol. Link: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc2267572/m1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they would've; at least I'm now justified in my use of the term "buggy" though! I suppose I've seen the word used on in a few recent Publix advertisements as well.

      Yeah, this thrift store didn't seem to bad. Everything was relatively organized and the floors seemed to be swept clean which is much more than can be said about Dirt Cheap! I'd also rather see the 1980's Winn-Dixie vinyl with a few holes than whatever concrete slab lies beneath. If only they'd polish these floors! I remember you commenting on the big 'ol HVAC vents in the Chiefland WD I shared several years ago and I'd agree that they remind me of a Kmart or an old Kroger – they must have been really popular for stores back then. The "mirrored hanging glam" definitely distracted me while I was in the store, more so than a disco ball would have!

      I can see the resemblance between the deli/bakery corner and the old Kmart electronics department: both are dark with orange accents. It doesn't help that so many of the lights were burned out at the Winn-Thriftie. And I can't tell if that Panasonic flat-screen next to the VCR is a plasma or an older LCD. The glossy screen and the fact that it is a Panasonic lead me to believe that it is a plasma; regardless, I know I could tell you if I had picked it up! I do not miss the days of plasmas because those things are so dang heavy (and they would get hot which is why most of them had metal backs to add to the weight).

      Despite its brevity, that old b-roll news footage was still interesting! It's always neat to see a Kroger Greenhouse back in its heyday, and the Winn-Dixie they showed used a façade that apparently shared some design language with the "inverted chek" Marketplace stores from that period. You've mentioned the Handy Man Hardware history before, and I think that would make a great rabbit hole to dive down if I make it back to Texas anytime soon. It would also make for some great guest post content 😉. Anyhow, I recently came across another Krog-Dixie in the Dallas area that I knew I had to add to my wish list; I'm curious if you had already identified it (it's not the store with the pink and teal floors).

      1990's recycling trends! A Kroger Superstore with Bauhaus décor! Albertsons! This video had it all! Thanks for sharing; it was well worth the 90 seconds it took me to watch it!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 2, 2024 at 12:58 AM

      I'm guessing you're referring to the Krog-Dixie at 2210 S. Fielder in Arlington, TX? The interesting thing about that Krog-Dixie, aside from the Marketplace floor, is that it is actually a K-Krog-Dixie. Yes, that building was originally Kmart #4370! There is also a K-Krogertsons in the Dallas area, but certainly the combination of Kmart, Winn-Dixie, and Kroger is an interesting one!

      That would be neat if you could 'Chek' out that Krog-Dixie. That store has been the source of a lot of intrigue in the Houston retail enthusiast community, but I don't think anyone has gone to Chek it out. If you are in Arlington, be sure to stop by this other Kroger in that area! Link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NGNNTyed22pLbNSr7

      Ha, I wish I knew more about those Winn-Dixie Handy Man Centers, but Winn-Dixie never made it to Houston so most of what I know about them comes from archived newspaper articles. The good news is that The Portal to Texas History website (where those videos came from) has some excellent archived newspapers and they have ads from those Handy Man Centers. If you're interested in doing something about those stores, send me an e-mail about it and I may be able to help you pull up some research. Also, of course, if you do cover Winn-Dixie's Texas stores, it is worth noting how the FTC squashed Winn-Dixie's plan to sell their Texas and Oklahoma stores to Kroger. Kroger obviously did get a few Winn-Dixie stores later on, but that was not the original plan.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 2, 2024 at 1:15 AM

      Oh, wait, you said it isn't the one with the Marketplace floors! Yeah, I think I know which one you're talking about even if I can't remember the exact location now. It is some kind of cost plus format independent grocer or something like that? I know I've come across it before, and I think I may have shared it with AFB, but I can't say I remember exactly where it is now.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 2, 2024 at 1:21 AM

      Geez, reading comprehension isn't my strong point tonight, lol. Sorry about that. Yeah, there are maybe a handful of Krog-Dixies in DFW. I think the aforementioned K-Krog-Dixie is probably the one with the most obvious remnants from my past research on the subject (it's been a while since I've looked them up so I can't remember the locations), but there might be some Kroger layout quirks with the other Krog-Dixies as well. There are still some Krogways in DFW as well. Kroger's DFW stores are certainly an eclectic mix of 'formers' and some older stores they built themselves. Houston isn't that different, but I think there are more oddballs in DFW than here even.

      Delete
    5. The Arlington Krog-Dixie is the store I was referencing with regards to having the pink and teal tile still in place. That's also not the only Kmart to Winn-Dixie conversion I can think of, as there are at least three others that come to mind. One of those closed before I ever saw it, but the other two remain open to this day. I'll get around to sharing them eventually . . .

      I don't have any active plans to visit Texas, but I'll certainly keep it on my list if I do make it out that way. You have a much shorter drive than I do, though! I'll also add that Superstore II to my list!

      I'll also let you know if I end up posting about some Texas WD stores, but then again, I'd like to actually visit one first! As for other interesting stores in the DFW area, I clicked through the first three I came to in my WD spreadsheet and all of them had obvious traces from The Beef People. I feel like you'd probably appreciate this Fiesta Mart the most. Regardless, I've found three Dallas-area Krog-Dixie stores. The one I mentioned above is probably the most subtle, but it doesn't take long to realize that the interior is nearly verbatim to an old Food Pavilion.

      Delete
    6. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 2, 2024 at 4:32 PM

      Yeah, I've seen that Fiesta Mart before in photos before as well and it certainly has a lot of leftovers from The Beef People! Fiesta Mart does have some stores where they have not done much to change the previous tenant's decor. Most of these examples probably won't be of much relevance to you, but there is this Fiesta Lion in the Houston area: https://maps.app.goo.gl/pTGz3fJaiRudpGzKA

      I know that Dallas isn't all that far from Houston, relative to Georgia at least, but Houstonians don't like to go to Dallas and vice versa, lol. You should have heard the complaints out of Dallas when Randall's bought Tom Thumb in the 1990s! Bob Onstead had to move to Dallas just to smooth things over and convince them that their beloved local supermarket chain wasn't going to be Houstonized. It eventually became Safewayized, but probably to many Dallasites, that was better than being Houstonized, lol. San Antonio is more neutral so HEB seems to be welcomed everywhere, perhaps unfortunately.

      I'm not too much into the Dallas-Houston rivalry, aside from hating the Dallas Cowboys since I am a New York Giants fan, but I have not been to Dallas since 1997. I am intrigued by their retail scene since they have some things we don't have, or never got in the past, and vice versa I suppose. Also, a number of retailers are or were headquartered in Dallas-Ft. Worth, like Tandy and JCPenney, so that is somewhat interesting. I bet you didn't know that Tandy once briefly owned a supermarket in the 1970s! Tandy bought Leonard's Department Store, which had a small grocery division, and Tandy owned those stores for a few months until the grocery stores were sold off to another operator. Actually, they were sold to Buddies of all companies in 1973, just a few years before Buddies was sold to Winn-Dixie so maybe some of those Leonard's/Tandy supermarkets became Winn-Dixies! Link: https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=AMNEWS&t=pubname%3A10EEA3CFD727D370!Fort%2BWorth%2BStar-Telegram/decade%3A1970!1970%2B-%2B1979/year%3A1972!1972&sort=YMD_date%3AD&fld-base-0=alltext&maxresults=20&docref=image/v2%3A10EEA3CFD727D370%40EANX-NB-149506C92C7428F8%402441683-149505CCF4CAC0A5%4041-149505CCF4CAC0A5%40

      JCPenney also had a supermarket division with stores in Texas, but I think that was when JCPenney was based out of New York. Anyway, while there have been a few national retail chains based out of Houston, the retail sector isn't a big part of our economy.

      Delete
    7. Wow, that Fiesta Lion is really cool (and makes me wish I could go inside the Thomasville Food Lion I photographed a while back)! At least the people of Dallas still have a few things to remember The Beef People by!

      While Dallasites didn't want Tom Thumb to be Houstonized, I'm not sure I want Winn-Dixie to be Aldified if it means straight up converting all of the stores! On the flip side, I'm not sure a Kroger acquisition would be any better. Regardless, I can understand why Dallas didn't want its local grocery chain to disappear, and I guess Bob's move must have helped to some extent. Today, HEB has much more of the cult lore back east than Randall's or Tom Thumb does, so that must say something too.

      Why is a Giants fan living in Houston?! Anyway, I think you should break your 27-year Dallas drought and visit "the big D" just to bring back from fresh content for your favorite Floridian retail blog! Is it bad that the only times I've stepped foot in both Dallas and Houston has been when traveling through the airports? Maybe I should change that too. The fact that Tandy had a short-lived supermarket operation reminds me of the J.M. Fields grocery operation I talked about in my post on Publix #852. Those, along with Kmart Foods, seem to indicate that the grocery industry was quite lucrative back in the 1970's. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Tandy stores became Winn-Dixies either!

      Delete
    8. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 9, 2024 at 1:16 AM

      Ha, if the local team options are the Houston Oilers and now the Houston Texans, you'd look for other teams to root for as well! Lol, well, perhaps people in Georgia feel the same way about the Falcons. The Falcons and the Oilers/Texans have fairly similar histories, although the Falcons have actually been more successful. At least they almost won that Super Bowl, in Houston no less, before blowing it in spectacular fashion, lol. I know the Giants have been terrible for years, but I was a fan of theirs for their four Super Bowl victories so at least I have that!

      Oh, trust me, there are probably a lot of people who have only been to Atlanta through the airport! As big as the DFW and IAH hubs are, ATL is even bigger! In fact, I'm a bit surprised to hear that someone in Georgia would even fly on American, United/Continental, or Southwest given the power of Delta in GA. That said, Delta did used to have a hub at DFW.

      I have no immediate plans to visit Dallas, and I don't think anyone in the Houston retail community does either, but if any of us visit the area, I'm sure at least that K-Krog-Dixie will be on the radar. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon though.

      Delete
    9. That's a fair point! At least the Braves and Atlanta United have done better in recent history than the Falcons (and not screwed up every recent championship they have been to).

      Well, at least I've been to both the airports and the cities of Austin and San Antonio. I'm certain that the only time many people have stepped foot on Georgia soil has been in the ATL airport. While Delta is big in Atlanta, it still makes sense to fly on American or United/Continental if you are coming from elsewhere in the state. It's especially useful to stop in IAH or DFW when traveling out West because Delta doesn't serve some of the smaller towns that American or United does. The one time I went through Houston was on Continental, so I suppose that says how long ago it was! DFW was more recent on a trip to California, though. I made an obligatory stop at the Cantina Laredo in Terminal D!

      It still never hurts to throw those ideas out there!

      Delete
  2. I guess Winn-Dixie was 2,031 years ahead of themselves with the "everything in the future is chrome" trend! Chrome will have its day though - Spongetron will make sure of that! :)

    What a punderfully winn-ing post! You never know what you'll find at the Winn-Thriftie, both in terms of decor remnants or merchandise! As far as the Neon Marketplace remnants go, this store had better preserved remnants of that decor than the last two stores Winn-Dixie still had in operation with that package! The preserved overhead decorations are fun to look at, and seem so out of place now in the context of the thrift store. The floral and cheese world signs just hanging from the ceiling totally blank are also weird to look at - they look like poorly placed mirrors now. I'm not really sure why the thrift store even bothered replacing the tiles in the front of the store with the faux wood paneling, unless the scarring from where WD's old check stands were located was just too jarring, or the floor had to get ripped up to fix something below (like a leaking pipe). With all the remnants in place, it's pretty easy to picture what this store looked like as a Winn-Dixie, and I like how you lined up those photos of the old deli/bakery here with the deli/bakery area in Chiefland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they were! 🤣 I'm cracking up at the fact that you spent the time to do that math!

      Thank you! I don't know what it is with old Winn-Dixie stores and second-hand goods, but they seem to be a winning combination! I'm also glad that you appreciated the puns because I feel like I was having one of my rare moments with this one. I agree that this store's Chrome Interior was very well preserved; I just wish I could have seen some of the original neon like you saw. At least there is still Boone, I suppose – if only that store wasn't so hard to get to. Despite them being out of place, I guess it worked out in our favor that the "hanging glam" pieces were so big which made them even harder to remove. I also like the rhyme you did there – I'd have to guess that the check stands had a lot of wires and holds that needed to be patched, though, and replacing all of that flooring was the easiest way to fix it. Like I mentioned in the post, the similar framing between my shot of the thrift store deli and the Chiefland deli was a total coincidence. I agree that it did turn out as a neat, albeit mind-bending, before-and-after sequence. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one is the before in this case!

      Delete
  3. Very fun relics here! I dig all the SpongeBob references XD And for the record, I'm on team yellow dairy, not blue, haha :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I agree! I thought you would appreciate the SpongeBob references too. I guess NW Retail is the only one on team blue dairy!

      Delete