Sunday, March 26, 2023

Publix #1808 - Tampa, FL (Gandy Shopping Center)

 

Publix #1808

Gandy Shopping Center

3617 W Gandy Boulevard

Tampa, FL 33611

Hybrid Format 2.0

Welcome back to My Florida Retail Blog for another edition of The Sing Oil Blogger writes about a store that he's never even been to


So, what's the deal with Publix #1808?  Why am I writing a post about somewhere I've never even seen?  

It turns out that this store is the first to debut an all new layout design for Publix.  The keen-eyed amongst you may have noticed where I updated my Publix Store Prototypes page a few weeks back to include this new addition, but I wanted to give you a formal introduction of it today.

I first discovered this new prototype several months ago in the plans for future Publix #1846 in Louisville, KY (mentioned as a 55.3-U in that case) and only shortly thereafter realized that the new #1808 in Tampa would also utilize this design.  It appears that this may be the "hybrid format 2.0", with #1808 essentially merging features from a GreenWise Market with a large, premium Publix store; the overall service department configuration strongly resembles that of a second-generation GreenWise while the store itself is the size of a flagship Publix location.  

Blog contributor and transportation enthusiast HR2012TPA was kind enough to photograph this store and supply me with the pictures we see today.  Hopefully I will get the chance in the near future to visit this store design myself.

Publix #1808 happens to be the third Publix store to occupy this parcel on Gandy Boulevard in Tampa, following the circa 1954 Art Deco store #23 and the circa 1986 55E store #310, making this one of the longest continuously operated pieces of property for the company.  You may remember that AFB covered Publix #310 a few weeks back, and I'd encourage you to check out his post if you missed it or if you want a refresher on how this site once looked.

With that behind us, let's take a look inside.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Parts of this post will look familiar to anybody who has read some of my earlier posts on an Evergreen store (including the sign we see above that I first saw at Publix #515 last summer), so I'll try not to dwell on those details since this is a rare mid-cycle post for me.

I would like to point out how this store's Wanzl 4140W shopping carts feature a green cup holder on the front.  You'll see why in a minute . . .

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Stepping inside, we are greeted by Publix's relocated floral department which backs right up to the all-new corral-style self-checkout area.  I haven't seen one of these corrals for myself, but they've popped up in almost every set of plans for a new store I've come across so I think they may be here to stay.

Publix #2011 - New Construction (2023) - Life Safety Plan

If you need a better idea of how these new self-checkout areas are configured, here is a screen capture from the plans for future Publix #2011 which shows how the nine self-checkouts are positioned in relation to the standard checkout lines (only one pictured on the left) and the floral department.

Another thing I haven't seen anywhere else is the presence of Publix's own graphics on the NCR self-checkout lights.   We can see above where the four machines closest to us feature a modified version of the "10 items or less" checkout cube design; meanwhile, the two machines off in the distance have regular numbers resembling those found on regular checkouts (and are also out of sequence with those found on the traditional checkout lines.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Turning to our right, we see the customer service and Instacart pickup area nestled off to the side.  I suppose it does make more sense to greet customers with the floral department, but this is still a big departure from the way Publix stores have been laid out for the last decade and a half.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Taking a look down the store's front speedway, we can see some nice balloon decorations set up to commemorate the grand opening.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Past the service counter is the first truly unique characteristic of the 55M:  the POURS café and bar.  Store #1808 happens to be the first Publix store which wasn't originally planned as a GreenWise Market to include a POURS bar.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Swiveling to the left, we see another intriguing part of this new Publix design: the fact that the bakery is not relegated to timeout in the back left corner of the store.  That being said, this grand aisle layout isn't exactly anything new . . . you'll see what I mean in this week's Sing Oil Saturday post.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

What hasn't changed from Publix's other recent store models is the large deli island; however, the 55M uses the island exclusively for prepared food options including burritos, sushi, pizza, and pasta.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

The other side of the deli island also features a self-serve soup, salad, and olive bar with some additional grab and go deli foods in the coolers off in the distance.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Jumping back to the corner, we find the sliced meat counter nestled between the bakery . . .

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

. . . and a dedicated popcorn counter.  I've noticed Publix offers fresh popcorn in a number of stores but this is the first time I've seen an entire counter for the snack food.  Store-made popcorn could be a high margin item; however, this still seems like an awful lot of real estate to dedicate to one product!

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Continuing on, we find the bakery counter and bread displays sandwiched between cold cuts of all kinds (ironic, isn't it).

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the Black Fox painted ceiling paired with the dark color of terrazzo in this store, but at least it is better than having splashes of Portabello left over from Sienna.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Thankfully, the terrazzo lightens up in the center of the store, as we can see here on aisle 7.  I believe the white terrazzo is used throughout the grocery department.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Jumping to the back left corner of the store, we find the new location for the meat and seafood counters.  This is strikingly reminiscent of the 37D, 37N, and 44T stores of yore, in addition to the second-generation GreenWise Market format.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

I forget if I've mentioned this before, but the textured pattern behind all of the Evergreen department signs is actually just a printed vinyl sticker.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Turning down aisle 15, we find beer, wine, and what appears to be a split-aisle cut through to aisle 14.  I'll give Publix a pass because I find one-off situations like this to be some of the only acceptable times to cut an aisle in half and place a walkway in between.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Since dairy now occupies the back wall of the store, fresh meats have moved to the left wall of the store: creating the perfect setup for a backyard barbecue with hamburgers and hotdogs.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Despite all of the other changes, the pharmacy counter can still be found in the front left corner of the store.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

I'm really surprised that this store already has items on clearance only several days after it first opened for business – I guess they ordered too much flour and infant formula?

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

Finally, it wouldn't be a fancy new Publix prototype without a second story dining area overlooking the sales floor.

Courtesy HR2012TPA - Publix #1808 - March 2023

If you want to check out some more pictures of the new Gandy Boulevard store, this article includes a nice photo gallery from the grand opening day with photos that appear to have been taken by Publix's marketing department.

Courtesy Publix via GIPHY

That's all for today, but make sure to check back for your regularly scheduled programming this Sing Oil Saturday.

Also, make sure to check out last week's MFR post covering Tennessee's only Pub-Dixie if you haven't had the chance to.

Until then,

- The Sing Oil Blogger

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous in HoustonMarch 27, 2023 at 2:01 AM

    Oh dear! I've seen the photos from inside two stores I had not seen before on the various blogs I read, this Publix and the Fred Meyer (Kroger) in Vancouver, WA that Northwest Retail posted. The Fred Meyer is the better looking store even with it having a regular (albeit stained) concrete floor! It's not that the Fred Meyer is any great looker, it's a warehouse-type store as one would expect from Fred Meyer, but this Publix is a hot mess...or maybe cold mess is a better way to describe it!

    Sometimes it is hard to judge store lighting from photos as the camera's white balance can make things look like they aren't. That said, the dark floors here, dark open ceiling, and dull nEvergreen decor probably means that the photos are an accurate look at things. The only two positives I can say are that at least the terrazzo isn't a regular concrete floor and the store is so dark that it kind of hides some of the dullness of nEvergreen.

    The really sad thing is that we saw how beautiful this Publix looked before it was transferred to a Florida landfill. Now, oaf. Those utility strip lights look like something I'd expect a car mechanic to have in their garage. In fact, I think they do have those lights! The dark colored open ceiling only makes matters worse. Really, this store looks like it has the same problems that 2000s era Lifestyle Safeways had in terms of an excessively dark look, but without the otherwise fairly classy colors and designs of a 2000s era Lifestyle Safeway. The sign at the front might say welcome to your Publix, but if I lived in the area, I'd be looking for a new Publix or maybe even a different chain to shop at!

    The popcorn counter is something interesting. This is not the first place I've seen that at a new supermarket. I don't know if you saw Mike's HHR post last week about the new Gordon Food Service Stores which opened up in Houston, but they also have a popcorn counter: https://houstonhistoricretail.com/2023/03/17/gfs-has-opened-so-whats-shopping-at-one-like/

    I suppose popcorn counters are the newest trend. We'll see if they stick or not. The funny thing is that some Target stores have recently begun to remove their popcorn machines! Perhaps Target is missing the trend. Popcorn must have high profit margin in that it costs hardly anything to make.

    Well, anyway, the guest contributor has some nice photos, but I only wish they were of a better store. This store is a major disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that these photos are not a truly accurate representation of Evergreen. You can tell by looking at the light strips in most of the shots, but I think the camera lens had some smudges on it when they were taken. I ended up using Lightroom’s “dehaze” feature to alleviate the smudges from most parts of the picture but that ends up cranking up the contrast to compensate for the haze. The white balance is also thrown off from a combination of the smudges and the “dehaze” and that wasn’t easily fixable without overcompensation. I put a link to Publix’s original press photos from this store and I think they do a better job of portraying the true to life look of Evergreen and the cooler grey tones used.

      As I’ve said before, you really have to visit an Evergrey store for yourself to give it a true judgement. It’s far from my favorite look, but I’ve also seen much worse. I still think a purpose-built Invigorate or Sienna store take the cake for me. At least none of my local stores have Evergreen (yet).

      I’m surprised that the Gordon Food Service stores have a popcorn counter considering how they market toward bulk food purchases. I’ve never been in one myself, but that could be an interesting chain to check out since it looks sort of like a Costco dedicated entirely to food.

      Delete
  2. I actually like the "Hybrid Format 2.0" better than I do the original one (at least conceptually). Having features like POURS, a pizza kitchen, and expanded fresh foods really makes this feel more like a high-end prototype, something the original design (like #1337 and #1363) lacked (as those had a small hot bar, but not much else as far as expanded prepared foods go). Stores like #1439 and #1488 improved on that, but I think #1808 has found a winning combination. #1808 closer to mimicking the pre-Covid Wegmans experience, especially with the mezzanine dining area thrown into the mix.

    The popcorn counter is interesting too - Greenwise 2.0 stores have those too, and the one here looks basically the same as the Greenwise version. I like how Publix is taking the best of Greenwise 2.0 and letting that live on through these new prototype stores, especially with how Greenwise 2.0 was silently halted from expanding further. Publix's track record with sub-brands (Greenwise, Sabor, Food World, etc.) doesn't seem to be great, but even if those standalone concepts are eventually phased out, Publix does seem to learn a lot from those formats as far as implementing features into the main stores go.

    Next time I'm in Tampa I'll have to check this store out, as it certainly is an interesting diversion from what we've been seeing come out of Publix lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the POURS concept I think it's a mistake, the last thing a family-friendly company needs is people drinking while shopping, it's an invitation for a DUI or an assault inside the store and all the negative publicity that will come with. I predict this concept is dead within 2 years.

      Oh and it also reminds me of the only reason I heard of anyone shopping at Lucky's markets - "we can drink while we shop, so it makes the high prices worth it".

      Delete
    2. I’d agree that this concept is very novel and intriguing; however, the original Hybrid Format probably seems dull in hindsight considering how many features from the design have now been implemented in a number of other Publix prototypes (like the specialty cheeses, grand aisle layout, and café). At least the expanded prepared foods feature of GWM 2.0 won’t be lost to time as those are some of my favorite parts of that design.

      In response to Anonymous, I’m sure it took Publix a long time to decide to implement POURS into a regular store. I’d imagine it was originally confined to GreenWise Market in case the concept crashed and burned, but it seems like quite the contrary happened as most people appear happy with the concept. This article makes a good point as to why grocery stores across the country are adding bars: the chains want to get shoppers to spend more time in the store (so they will ultimately buy more) in the advent of online ordering and food subscription services. Publix has operated POURS locations since 2018, and I don’t see the concept slowing down anytime soon. That being said, I’d be surprised to see the department added to existing stores (you never know though).

      As far as the negative consequences that can come with the consumption of alcohol, I would hope the “rowdy” type wouldn’t care to hang out at a Publix bar anyhow. It seems like it would be a buzzkill to just watch people push around shopping carts while you are three sheets to the wind. There are also plenty of family-friendly restaurants that serve alcohol (I’m thinking of Longhorn Steak, Olive Garden, and the like) and don’t run into issues. As for your last point, I’m sure that is a factor into why Publix likes the idea because people probably will buy more when they have a drink in hand.

      I don’t think it was considering the number of scrapped locations, but I wonder if Publix’s plan all along was to test out new ideas with these various concepts so they could see what worked before “tarnishing” the main brand. At least some of the successful GreenWise concepts are making their way into traditional stores, like the popcorn counter, and I feel like this is a nice compromise for the downfall of the side project.

      I’d be interested to see this store for myself as well!

      Delete
  3. Lucky's is really what has helped spark some of these expanded offerings - such as POURS - to help position Publix to compete with them had they expanded. With that being said, I love what this store has to offer & am glad that it has become the niche store in the South Tampa area, given that the area now has 7 different Publix stores to choose from. Those stores are: Dale Mabry (611), Bayshore (628), Hyde Park (1182), Britton Plaza (1506), WestShore (1653), & Gandy Commons (1722). With this rebuild done, I really wonder if Publix will pursue rebuilding 611 next. I know there have been rumors swirling since before the pandemic that 628 would receive a rebuild - but so far, that has not materialized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this store seems to offer a nice new variety (and will likely draw some shoppers away from the surrounding stores). I don’t think I’ve seen Publix replace a 51T store like #611 yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to start over with a 1990’s 28M like #628. I have seen plans where the chain is replacing its first 39M though, so anything from 2004 or before is fair game now.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping this is a sign Publix has realized what a huge mistake it is sticking the bakery in the back left corner of the store. I've been a few of the new stores with the bakery in the back and it seems very quiet and lonely back there. I have to believe bakery sales suffer quite a bit from putting it back there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like it, but too much gray terrazzo. Scared me that they'd hop on the polished concrete bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! I hope Publix doesn't ever hop onto the polished concrete bandwagon because that seems to be something that companies never return from. Additionally, as much as people love to hate on Evergreen, its simplicity will also make it very easy to remodel over when the time comes – much easier than going back and installing a nicer floor like terrazzo. Interestingly, I've been to several 1980's Publixes which also have gray terrazzo around the perimeter so it isn't exactly a new design choice. I agree that the white terrazzo is preferred.

      Delete
  6. In this edition of "Retail Retell reads and comments on a blog post a month after it was published," I wanted to say that I enjoyed this edition of "the Sing Oil Blogger writes about a store that he's never even been to"! Great contributor photos, and the store looks nice, even if (to Anonymous's point) it's not particularly my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, even though you are a month late, you still managed to make me chuckle with your comment! Like I've said before, and will say again, Evergrey is far from my favorite package either, but it looks much better in person than in photos. The good news is, the look is already nearly four-years old which means it won't be too much longer before Publix hopefully debuts a replacement design!

      Delete
  7. The first Cincinnati market location, Publix 2052, will be a 55,701 sq. ft. 55.3 Evergreen store with a Pours. It's not been officially announced but should be soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are moving into the Cincinnati area now? I wonder if they'll be expanding northward into PA? Wegmans is pushing south and I wonder if you will see Publix in the Northeast. I doubt it because they are a few big store chains and prices are less. It would be fun to see...

      Delete

    2. There are actually four planned Cincinnati-area Publix stores that I'm aware of: #2052 as you mentioned, Fairview Commons (Florence, KY), A 48M in Independence, KY, and Cold Spring Pointe (48M - Cold Spring, KY). Those are in addition to the 7 other future Kentucky Publixes I've come across.

      I still think it will be a while before Publix would even consider PA, but you never know!

      Delete