Saturday, June 18, 2022

Another Classy Conglomeration - Publix #599 - Atlanta, GA


Publix #599

Ansley Mall

1544 Piedmont Ave NE

Atlanta, GA 30324

This week I was planning for a standard post over on my primary blog, but didn't manage to finish it in time.  I'd also rather not rush that one since it is chock full of content.  Check back in two weeks to see that post, but in the meantime, we can take a look at a different Publix.

If you read my post from a few weeks ago of Publix #1054 in McDonough, I thought that Publix had mostly eradicated the early, quirky Classy Market 2.5 stores during their extensive remodels of 2018-2019. I was proved wrong when a commenter brought Publix #599 to my attention, stating that it still had an early version of Classy Market 2.5 on proud display. I'm surprised that I missed this store, because I thought I had previously looked over most in the Atlanta area (and anywhere in Georgia along the I-75 or southern I-85 corridor) for any quirky interiors that remained. I was proven wrong when I saw the images online for this store depicting a décor clone of what we saw in McDonough (I'm aware that there is another CM 2.5 store between McDonough and Atlanta, but I haven't had time or a reason to visit it yet). I knew I had to add this location to my list!

I have to admit, this store was one of the more difficult ones for me to photograph because I visited within 30 minutes of closing time. I had to squeeze it in to a previously planned trip, but I figured it was better to attempt it and get mediocre results than miss out on the opportunity altogether! With that being said, employees were crawling all over this store when I was in there. It was so hard to get a clear shot without getting noticed! Luckily, I was able to prevail, and I left with a number of pictures and a stronger desire to get my hands on a retired Classy Market 1.0 aisle sign! 

Some History

The store we will be touring today is an early 37D model, which is approximately 37,800 sq. ft.  I initially named this prototype the 39T because I thought these stores were closer to 39,000 sq. ft. in size, but most news articles I have since read refer to them as 37,000 sq. ft. store.  Something interesting about this prototype, is it seems to have two eras: an earlier dropped ceiling era (which we will see today), and a later warehouse ceiling era.  In my opinion, the dropped ceiling stores are much cooler because they seem to have more architectural character to them.   Having never seen one of these stores before March of this year, I have now been to four, with three of them being dropped ceiling models, and most of them had some sort of surprise hidden up their sleeves. The first store I visited still had CM 2.5, was in the process of being replaced, and managed to have one of the state-themed reusable shopping bags I was looking for. The second one didn't have much to note and was just a dropped ceiling model with a standard Sienna installation. The third, this store, will be explored in this post. Meanwhile, the fourth, had a warehouse ceiling and was in the middle of a Sienna-to-Evergreen remodel (which revealed some really cool surprises – more on those soon). 

Although I originally thought this store opened with Metallic Marketplace, I have since begun to second-guess myself based on recent research I have done.  During that research, I have confirmed that Publix used its Wavy Pastels interior package until at least 2002 (nearby stores #776 and #790 are both confirmed to have used that package in 2001 and 2002, respectively), which leads me to wonder if the store prototype determined which interior package it would receive.

Store #598 - Madison, AL - March 30, 2008 - Flickr

The photo above is from a different 1997 dropped-ceiling 39T store, and seems to indicate a neon light strip along with some shiny accents ran along the curves in the ceiling.  Both of these lead me to believe that the store opened with a version of Metallic Marketplace, but I would need more conclusive evidence before I can make that call.  I will say that the blue and teal aisle signs we see in the picture above were introduced sometime after 2000 and retrofitted into older Wavy Pastels and Metallic Marketplace stores; meanwhile, I have also seen them used in some of the very early Classy Market 1.0 stores, circa 2002.  I guess this will remain a mystery, unless somebody else can provide more insight!

This store happens to be located on the edge of Atlanta's Piedmont Park in Ansley Mall. I forget how I found myself down that specific rabbit hole, but Ansley Mall has quite a history of its own which you can read about here & here.  

The Macon Telegraph (Newspapers.com) - May 21, 1997

Construction began on this store in September 1996, and Publix decided to open this store on May 22, 1997, on the site of one of Ansley Mall's two original grocery tenants.  The articles above go into much more detail, but the shopping plaza originally opened with a Kroger, which eventually moved from the current CVS space to a freestanding store to the North, and a Colonial supermarket-turned-Big Star-turned-A&P, which in-turn was eventually torn down for this Publix.  I also believe Ansley Mall is a rare example of a 1960's open-air mall which is still in operation, but I unfortunately didn't get a chance to explore it due to my time crunch.

The Store

Since I wasn't able to get many pictures of the mall itself, I'll drop in this Street View embed so you can take a journey for yourself.

As we can see in the photo at the top of the post, this store has Publix's distinctive late-1990's, early-2000's inverted trapezoidal vestibules, which can be found on 39T & 45T stores. If you need a refresher, the 39T stores differ from the 45T model from the same era based on the distance between the two vestibules. In the 45T, both are closer together and have several windows on the wall between. Meanwhile, the 39T vestibules are further apart and are separated by a customer service counter.

Walking up to the entrance vestibule, we are greeted by the grey flavor of the 3-row checkered tile pattern. From what I have noticed, it seems like Publix used the 3-row family of tile patterns from around 1996 until approximately 2002.  I have seen this family of patterns used in a variety of Wavy Pastels store prototypes and confirmed Wavy Pastels stores, but never in a 45T or 55T, which are the only confirmed Metallic Marketplace store prototypes I have found.  This leads me to wonder whether this store opened with Wavy Pastels, or whether the patterns were interchangeable.  Conversely, every 45T I have ever seen opened with the 2-row checkered patterns, which was used from at least the early Wavy Pastels days through Classy Market 1.0.

Just to the right of the entrance is the greeting card section. I find it odd for such a small store to receive such a large section of cards, but it seems like Publix wanted to find a use for the former SunTrust bank branch space. In modern times, many 39T stores with a pharmacy would use this floor space for that purpose.

Walking a bit past the cards, we catch a glimpse of the deli, bakery, and first two aisles. I'll give you a few clues to date this store's package. The first is how the signs are leftovers from Classy Market 1.0. They indicate that this store would have remodeled from its original package to CM 1.0 at some point, then remodeled to CM 2.5 around 2010-2012. Newer CM 2.5 installations got new signs that resembled the ones used in the Sienna package. The next thing to date this remodel is the restroom sign. Later iterations of CM 2.5 use a version with a blue background which closely resembles Sienna's. Finally, the deli sign in this store is curved (similar to Classy Market 2.0) and is not the same sign used in Sienna.  Oddly enough, I discovered that this store received $750,000 worth of upgrades in 2018, which included all new refrigeration units and a new generator.  Why they didn't change the décor, I don't know!

We can also see some of the curves in this dropped ceiling design, but I'll dive deeper into those later.

Similar to most other CM 2.5 installs, this store did receive new tile behind the bakery to match a new-build store. I also noticed that the backing for "Publix" and "established 1957" on the bakery sign is blue, meaning that specific sign was designed for Sienna. I'm not sure how it ended up in this store, but Sienna uses blue paint in the bakery department as opposed to the orange used in CM 1.0, 2.0, & 2.5.

I didn't manage to get a good picture of it since I already got a closeup in #1054, but here we can see a partially obstructed view of the deli sign. I think there must have been a bunch of employees in this area of the store performing cleanup duty!

As with most modern Publix stores, produce is located in the back right corner. I did notice that this section of the store had a different style of terrazzo that didn't quite match the rest of the store; additionally, it looked like it had been added later as an attempt to repair the floor. I know some older Publix stores used different colored floors for effect, but this seemed like it was an attempted match that didn't work out quite right. I also remember seeing a terrazzo mismatch in the produce section of a 51T store I have visited so I wonder if this era of stores used a different material (like the grey tiles used for the floor in the service departments) which Publix later deemed inappropriate? Mind you, most of the stores I went to during that era were from the early 1990's, so I have no idea what the produce departments used to feature in late-1990's or early-2000's stores.

One of the easiest ways to identify a Classy Market 2.5 or Classy Market 2.0 store (besides the primary signage) is to look for these leaves hanging in the produce department.  CM 2.5 stores, such as this one, have solid green leaves while CM 2.0 stores only have leaf outlines hanging from the ceiling.

I also noticed how this store received an Evergreen-era "Fresh & Flavorful" tertiary sign and Sienna-era green category markers.

Next up, we'll take a look at the floral and fresh-cut produce station. This store received a different variation of the floral sign than the Prattville Publix, so I wonder what determines which store received which style of sign. At least this one actually matches the package, unlike the Sienna one we saw in Publix #1054.

One thing that I didn't realize until after I left this store (otherwise I would have been more intentional with my photography) is how Publix had replaced some of the original tile patterns. Although we got to see the full pattern in the vestibule, if you take a look at the tile behind the cut produce cooler, Publix physically removed the four rows of tile above the grey line and replaced them with plain white tiles. This backsplash would have originally featured a teal-checkered design, which Publix (correctly) assumed wouldn't match with its Classy Market packages. I know there may be doubters out there that Publix would bother chiseling away four rows of tile while leaving the rest of the wall in-tact, but if you look closely, you can often see mismatched grout colors or a few tiles which reflect the light differently than the original ones. I'm also not certain as to whether this store's CM 1.0 or CM 2.5 remodel would have replaced these tiles, but due to the fact that the bakery received a CM 2.5 tile pattern, I believe this is when the work would have happened. Don't worry, I've got a store in my queue where we will see these original tile patterns on full display!

Turning the corner, we see another early CM 2.5 restroom sign indicating the restrooms are in the back of the store. It still feels odd seeing them placed back here in a Publix-built store! We also can see one of the lower ceiling curves, and a whole host of CM 1.0 aisle signs.

On aisle 2, we can find a variety of morning treats, including: cereal, coffee, syrup, and canned milk.

Next, we'll get a better look at the dairy signage and its accompanying coolers.

While it isn't very obvious in this picture, these CM 1.0 aisle signs were really beginning to show their age. Mind you, these aisle signs are between 14-18 years old at this point, and they seemed to look very tired in person. Many of the category markers were beginning to yellow and crack due to the UV exposure from the adjacent florescent lights which really surprised me how Publix hasn't bothered to replace them. Faded and cracking aisle signs are something I associate with an old Winn-Dixie Marketplace rather than a Publix. Furthermore, the only other Publix I have seen aisle signs in this bad of condition was in store #1331 in Fort Myers, FL, which is scheduled to close for demolition in September. I wonder if this store has a similarly planned fate?

Aisle 4 is where customers can find baking supplies, in addition to pickles and olives. I personally love to make pickle cakes because the acidic dill flavor really balances out the sweetness in a German Chocolate confection. Olives also add a nice, satisfactory crunch.

This was my attempt to photograph the construction of these signs, but it looks to me like they are held together with plastic snaps. My intent was to plan for what I would do with a CM 1.0 sign once I got one, but it still seems like a long-shot that I can actually get one! At least I now know that they can seemingly be broken down into three separate faces.

We'll take one last look at the back right corner of the store before we move on and get a good view of one of the gentle curves along the ceiling.

Nothing was too special about aisle 6, other than it being home to bread (which I needed on this shopping trip) and a few snacks. I personally love how the Classy Market 1.0 aisle signs often list "Publix Bread" which would make be inclined to want the sign for this aisle to be added to my collection! We can also see the entrance door off in the distance, with a small piece of crown molding above the Publix sign which is a leftover from Classy Market 1.0.

I also want to point out the yellow strip of wall where the ceiling is raised over the grocery aisles. While this is a common trend with older, 40,000-ish sq. ft. Publixes, these curvy 39T stores received the special neon treatment I mentioned above on this portion of wall. Sadly, the neon has long since been removed from this store. Previously, I had wondered how Publix originally treated these architectural details, but now I know!

You can also see the lower section of curved wall directly behind the aisle 6 sign.

I must have really liked aisle 6! It looks like I took this picture, though, to highlight how cracked and brittle the category markers looked in this store. You can also see how brown the ceiling tiles have turned surrounding the air vents due to 25 years of dust.

Wow, another picture from aisle 6! While this one highlights the front door, I want you to take note of the section of wall which curves off to the right in this picture.

Likewise, here is the section of wall which curves off to the other direction of the store. You'll see where I am going with this in a minute!

The SunTrust bank branch used to be located behind the shelving in front of me, to the right of the bakery.

Here we have an overview of the registers in this store, with our curvy friend leading us over toward the frozen aisle. If you take a look at the ceiling over the checkout lines, you'll notice that it has an oval effect and a lower height. The oval section of lower ceiling seems to be a common trait in this era of stores (the 45T equivalent can be seen here) but the dropped-ceiling 39T stores are the only ones to retain this feature today. Any warehouse ceiling stores would've had this removed during one of the Classy Market renovations.

I also want to highlight something with the checkout cubes: all of them are oriented in the wrong direction! I believe the numbers are supposed face perpendicularly to the line and not parallel. This is also the only store I have seen to receive the orange express cubes without a standard number below. At least Publix bothered to add the late-Sienna style cubes to this store!

Aisle 8 is home to light bulbs, pet supplies, charcoal, and stationary. What an assortment!

I did manage to take a better picture of the dairy sign (by the way, this is my favorite sign in the CM 2.5 package; that shade of blue is captivating).

The seafood and meat departments are located in the back left corner of these stores, which seems to be a setup I have only found in the 39T and 45T stores. You can zoom in and see more of the tile pattern remnants: seafood would have featured a blue checkered pattern matching produce and meats would have featured a coral checkered pattern matching the deli and bakery.

On aisle 10, we can find cleaning supplies. If you haven't noticed, it seems like every aisle I have photographed seemed to have a cart of product waiting to be stocked on the shelves. I guess that is what happens when I visit a store so close to closing time!

Cold beer and wine are housed on aisle 12, in addition to another early example of a CM 2.5 sign. We can also see where the raised ceiling over the center of the store swoops back to avoid the alcohol aisle.

After the two people who were in my previous picture decided to move on, I decided to get an unobstructed view of aisle 12.

Finally, beer and pizza on the same aisle! It is a college student's (or my former economic professor's) dream come true!

Publix had to get creative with this store's collage placement, but it seems like this lower section of wall seems to work well.

As for the exit vestibule in this store, we see another remnant of Classy Market 1.0's crown molding and a pair of historic photos from Publix's CM 2.0 / 2.5 collages. Typically, these photos come at the end of my tour, but we aren't finished with this store yet!

I did find it odd how this store's pharmacy was placed in the front left corner and not where the greeting cards were. Typically, the Metallic Marketplace stores instead have wine in this corner of the store. Oh well, at least you can get a better view of the oval ceiling over the checkout lines and a late-Sienna pharmacy sign.

This pharmacy is quite cramped in this corner, but I believe it was added during this store's Classy Market 1.0 remodel based on the angular styling it received and the 2003 issue date on the license. We can also see a glimpse of the other frozen foods aisle: #14.

But first, we'll see a big overview of the front end of the store. Here we can begin to grasp the full effect of the oval section of ceiling above the checkout lines and see another interesting architectural detail I alluded to earlier: the curved ceiling seemingly funnels customers in from the entrance to the rest of the store. I believe this was the first time I had noticed this feature in one of the 39T stores, but I thought it was a very cool architectural subtlety.

Not much of interest to point out on aisle 14, other than some freezers, and the rest of the meat department in the back left corner.

Speaking of meats, here is a better view of this store's unique department configuration in the back left corner.

And here is a good overview of the rest of the store from the back left corner.

From this picture, it seems like the floor has also been replaced in front of the seafood department and where aisle 10 seems to be missing its number.

I managed to get one more shot of the express checkout cubes, missing their number companions. Oddly enough, the other numbers do skip over #5 and #6, so it isn't like the store was shorted two cubes.

Lastly, we'll see an overview of the customer service counter, which is located between the store's two vestibules

And on the other side of the wall is an area for exterior cart storage. 

That, folks, will wrap up our tour of Publix #599.  Be sure to check back in a couple of weeks for my next post and remember to check out my primary blog every-other Saturday to learn about a different former Sing Store in addition to a nearby grocery store or other store of interest.

- The Sing Oil Blogger

6 comments:

  1. Pickle and olive cake - that's what I had for my birthday! I should have ordered the cake from this store, as the lady at my local Publix looked at me like I was crazy when I placed that order! :)

    I know you asked me about if before, but I can't explain the mismatched terrazzo in the produce department either. I doesn't help that I've never been in a 39T store before either, but hopefully one of these days I'll find myself in one to see what its all about (and what strange subtilties may lie inside!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the lady at your Publix bakery thought you were a bit crazy, I hope that your pickle and olive cake was all you hoped it would be! It shouldn't be too surprising of a request, especially for a guy who prefers a glass of Merlot with his lunchtime PB&J.

      I still have a feeling that Publix replaced some other type of flooring with faux terrazzo because the produce flooring seems to be made of a different material than the rest of the store. Like I believe I mentioned above, most 39T or 51T stores I have been to have this strange transition so it seems to be something Publix was trying during the late-1990's. They are fun stores to check out, especially the dropped ceiling variants!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous in HoustonJune 19, 2022 at 3:25 AM

    As someone quite unfamiliar with Publix, but as someone very familiar with Kroger, I find it quite odd how similar the department layout is of this Publix with many of the so-called 'Kroger Signature' stores that Kroger built in Houston starting in 1993 and through the early 2000s. At the very least, the produce area in one back corner and then the back actionway all the way to the meat/seafood counter and then the pharmacy up front all looks very similar, albeit in shrunken form, to a Kroger Signature store layout! Granted, such layouts are pretty common in supermarkets in general, but this Publix really does have a Kroger-like feel to it...even more so than other grocers with a similar layout.

    Although I suspect Publix would never want to admit to it, especially in a market where they compete with Kroger such as Atlanta, I do wonder if Publix did take some notes from Kroger's Signature layout (which itself was a modified form of Kroger's late 1980's 'Power Alley Concept' layout). Of course, actually being in this Publix and seeing how much smaller it is than a Kroger Signature store might cause one not to see what I'm seeing in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store was certainly in shrunken format to most grocery stores! I don't believe I have ever been to a "Kroger Signature" store myself (I'm not sure if they ever built any in Georgia or Alabama), it could be the case that Publix wanted to copy this layout to compete with Kroger in the Atlanta market. I believe the 39T prototype made its debut in 1996, which would have provided enough time for Publix to copy Kroger's concept.

      With regards to your comment on the other post, the terrazzo in the produce department and by the seafood counter did have a more pebble-like texture. I've recently read in construction documents how some new Publix stores would have a different material used for flooring, "The main sales floor is not cementitious terrazzo on this project, as with many Publix projects. Instead it is an epoxy terrazzo." It looked to me like the pebble-textured flooring could have been epoxy terrazzo rather than cementitious like the rest of the store. The standard terrazzo is smooth and glossy, while the flooring in the produce department seemed to have a texture, was matte, and seemed to not be as hard of a material. It seems like it was an easy way for Publix to replace some old flooring rather than bring in polishing crews to install matching terrazzo.

      Delete
  3. The wide angle lens really made for some neat pictures in this post, especially of the different curvatures of the ceiling throughout the salesfloor and above the checkouts! And as always, I'm continuously impressed by your strong level of attention to detail and ability to class(y market)ify so many different characteristics of different store builds, eras, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you couldn't tell, I really liked how the designers of this store were creative with the ceiling structure and I'm glad I had the wide angle lens to attempt to capture that! Similarly, I also appreciate your attention to detail and enjoy reading your posts. I also like how you slipped a pun into your comment!

      Delete