Saturday, June 18, 2022

Publix #287 - Riverwalk Shopping Center - Sebastian, FL


Publix #287
13435 US Highway 1, Sebastian, FL - Riverwalk Shopping Center

     I'm going to start today's post with a new edition of "Confessions of a Floridian Retail Blogger". Being a Floridian, you guys probably think I spend a lot of time shopping at Publix, the ubiquitous Floridian grocery chain. In a way I do find myself at Publix a lot, as I've been to 175 Publix stores (so far) in my travels, but (and here's where the confession part come in) I actually don't go to Publix very often for my regular grocery shopping. (Gasp! Call the National Enquirer on this one!) Most of my time going to Publix is while on road trips, really. Besides to grab a Pub Sub or something that happens to be on sale in any given week, I really don't shop at Publix much. I'm actually an Aldi guy, and anything I can't get at Aldi I'll end up getting at either Target or Winn-Dixie. (Gasp! Winn-Dixie! This is front page National Enquirer stuff now!) Winn-Dixie has really won me over recently with their renewed stores and rewards program, much to Publix's dismay (and I come from a family of Publix devotees too). However, I have nothing against Publix. Publix runs good stores and offers good quality product, and they know their niche, but they're just pricey, and I'm cheap. I live less than a mile away from a Publix, but I've found myself driving further out to other stores more often recently. So, what does all that have to do with today's post, you ask? Well, when I do find myself with the urge to do a decent Publix run, I have plenty of options locally to do just that. However, while I can be at a Publix in less than a mile, if I have the time, I'd rather make the 20 mile excursion to my favorite Publix to shop at - Publix #287 in Sebastian.


     Publix #287 is a quaint 1980's Publix store, which opened on November 21, 1985. Publix serves as the major anchor to this classic 1980's Publix community shopping center, with a Walgreens opening alongside it as the plaza's junior anchor. I have a soft spot for these classic 1980's Publix anchored shopping centers, as there's just something about the architecture and design of them that always struck me as interesting, probably stemming back to my time observing (the quite depressing now) St. Lucie Square in my younger days. While the facade details are different, both St. Lucie Square and Riverwalk Shopping Center share similar design features, although Riverwalk is much livelier and better cared for in the present. Since I like the aesthetic of this shopping center, and the aesthetic of older Publix stores in general, I don't mind making the journey down here for my Publix shopping needs when time allows (and the drive along the river on US 1 in far Southern Brevard County is quite scenic too).


     Besides the paint scheme, the exterior of the shopping center hasn't been changed since it opened in 1985. The interior has been updated through the years accordingly, but still retains a classic Publix feel. Publix #287 has never been expanded or heavily altered in any way during all the interior renovations it has received, so the departments are still in their original locations as well.


     Entering from the left side doors, here's a look across the store's entry vestibule. Having opened in 1985, I'm a bit torn about the vestibule being original or not. Publix #287 opened in the period when the company was transitioning from the classic concave style entryway to the single vestibule design like this, with many concave entryway stores later remodeled to include a similar vestibule. Sometimes there were quite obvious clues that the vestibule was a later addition, and other times the addition of the vestibule was practically seamless. The fact this store has an interior set of doors (which is not a common thing to see) seems to suggest the vestibule was a later addition, but I can't say for sure.


     Stepping inside, we turn to the right to be greeted by the usual display of weekly promotional items and BOGO tables. Greeting cards are tucked into a small aisle that runs along the building's front wall, with the service desk located straight ahead in the store's front right corner.


     Rounding the corner are more BOGO dump bins, and the "Publix Apple" sign comes into view. The apple sign is usually placed prominently along the front wall in front of the check lanes, but in these older stores, that decor piece just got stuffed wherever there was room, like we see here.


     As typical of a Publix from this era, dairy runs along the right side wall in aisle 1, with juices and other drinks on the opposite side.


     In the back right corner, we get a closer look at something the store's Sienna/Classy Market 3.0 paint scheme tries to unsuccessfully hide: some wall paneling from the decor package this store opened with in 1985! Throughout most of this store, that paneling can still be seen, just painted over in the browns and greens of the current decor. Since Publix can be pretty thorough with remodels, it's always fun when I pop into an older Publix store and see the painted over original paneling on the walls like this. For a general idea of what the interior of this store would have looked like shortly after it opened in 1985, this YouTube video gives some nice overviews of the 1980's Publix decor (that video filmed inside Publix #246 in Deerfield Beach, in case you were curious). It's amazing how different these stores look and feel now after a number of remodels!


     Looking across the back of the store from the back right corner, we find the deli department straight ahead.


     As usual in these 1980's build Publix stores, the deli is located along the back wall in a small alcove, under the distinctive lower ceiling. We'll return to the deli for a closer look in just a moment, but first, let's jump back up front for a moment:


     A bit of an abrupt transition here jumping from the back of the store to the front, but I didn't have any more graceful way to do so! While the previous photo looked across the entirety of the back wall, this one is of a similar perspective, just looking across the front of the store instead. From this perspective we can see the front lanes, along with a really interesting relic from decor packages past. Over the check lanes is a decorative metal structure that dates back to the Wavy Pastel days. In more deluxe Wavy Pastel builds, these metal structures were used to hang overhead check lane lights from. I'd imagine these structures held a similar purpose in remodeled stores, but I never encountered one of these metal structures myself until well after most of these stores would have remodeled away from Wavy Pastel. The structure could have been purely decorative in this store, but regardless, it's still a Wavy Pastel remnant! Sadly, even though the metal structure survived this store's early Sienna/Classy Market 3.0 remodel, it was later removed. The pictures in today's post were taken in 2017, and according to photos on Google, the structure was removed by early 2018. I must have captured this decor relic shortly before it was removed for good, so in a rare victory, timing worked in my favor on this one!


     I'm a bit surprised Publix bothered to remove the metal structure over the check lanes as a special project, and didn't wait until this store remodeled again. Not only is the structure big, it had electrical wiring running to it as well for the lights, so it seems like something that would be a bit complicated to remove.


     Leaving the front end, we'll turn down this aisle as we work our way back toward the deli department. Along the border of the ceiling transition we find more original (albeit painted over) 1980's paneling, which would have looked like this when the store first opened.


     Finding ourselves in the back of the store again, we return to the deli for a closer look:


     While most of Publix's stores from this era had a deli department of a similar design to this, there is one major oddity to the deli in this store. See it? If you don't, use this picture of the more common scene you'd encounter as a hint, or just jump ahead to the next paragraph for the answer.

     So what's the oddity about the deli here? Well, you just have to look up! The entire ceiling of the deli alcove is a giant paneled light fixture, which really brightens up the alcove. That design is most certainly original (as lights like this are very 1980's), and I can't help but wonder if most Publix stores from this era had similar light fixtures in their delis which were swapped out with modernized fixtures (like this) in later remodels. While I've been to a lot of Publix stores (especially older ones) in my travels, #287 is the only one I can remember having the paneled light fixture like this over the deli alcove.


     So the deli light is a rather neat relic from the past that Publix #287 happened to retain, and just adds to the retro charm of this store (even if most of that charm is masked behind some Sienna/Classy Market 3.0 era upgrades). Moving along, we find ourselves in aisle 4, home to baby items, stationary, and some health and beauty products. This store doesn't have a pharmacy, so the pharmacy-related products are housed in these early aisles (as Publix typically does in older stores that lack a pharmacy)


     Popping up front again, here's another look across the front end, with the bakery off in the distance.


     Publix always has the most perfectly faced cereal aisles.


     Beyond the deli alcove, the back wall transitions into the meat department, with the seafood counter off in the distance where the brown wall paint switches to green.


     The deli alcove again, as seen from meats.


     Getting closer to the left side of the store, we find chips and soda...


     ...as well as the classic combo of PB&J and wine. The next time I'm at one of Publix's fancy prototype stores, I'll have to ask the wine attendant for their recommendation on what wine pairs best with a PB&J sandwich. I've been getting a lot of weird looks from people at work when I break out the bottle of Merlot with my PB&J sandwich at lunch, so maybe I should be drinking a white wine with my PB&J sandwich instead.


     This store's last two aisles (numbers 13 and 14) are home to frozen foods, although a portion of aisle 13 is home to the beer coolers as well.


     Looking across the back wall from the back left corner, the Seafood service counter is to my left, with the produce alcove behind me.


     Turning around from the vantage point of that last photo, here's produce in all of its glory.


     While it's most common for Publix to arrange the produce displays perpendicular to the main aisles in stores from this same era, this store chose to arrange the tables parallel to the main aisles. I have no idea why this arrangement was chosen over the other, but it adds to this store's uniqueness and charm.


     Leaving produce, we take a look down aisle 14, the store's last aisle and home to the remainder of frozen foods.


     At the end of aisle 14, in the store's front left corner, is the bakery alcove. The bakery counter is located along the left wall, with ice cream freezers wrapping around the other two walls of the alcove.


     Intertwining the ice cream coolers with the bakery department is a very classic Publix thing, and something I've never seen another supermarket do. However, this arrangement makes a lot of sense, as cake and ice cream makes for a great pairing! (Not as good of a pairing as PB&J and wine, but it's close!)


     Here's another look toward the bakery counter as we begin to wrap up our tour of Publix #287.


     Here's one last look at the check lanes, with the exit doors straight ahead.


     "Thank you for shopping Publix" it says on that bulkhead over the doors. One nice thing about this store is all the windows along the front end, which let in a lot of natural light. The later split vestibule stores removed all the natural light provided by the original single vestibule design, but allowed the customer service desk to be placed in a more natural location in front of the check lanes, and not over in the corner like it is here.


     Here's one last look at Publix's facade, another classic example of a mid-late 1980's Publix design.


     While we're here, we'll take a quick look at the adjoining Riverwalk Shopping Center too, since the shopping center is another large portion of the main Publix store's overall aesthetic. The shopping center carries over the design of the main Publix store, zig-zagging is way toward the former Walgreens junior anchor:


     The former Walgreens is also of their classic 1980's shopping center design, standing out from the rest of the plaza with its tall facade.


     Walgreens moved to a freestanding location across the street from Riverwalk Shopping Center in 1998, with the former space now home to a Goodwill store. Goodwill combined the main Walgreens space with the space of their former attached liquor store next door, increasing the size of the salesfloor. It's always nice to stroll around the Goodwill store after popping into Publix, so let's head inside for a quick look around:


     Inside, Goodwill removed most traces from Walgreens, probably a result of the work done when combining the main store space with that of the former liquor store next door. This Goodwill store is operated by Gulfstream Goodwill, who is the Goodwill operator that runs out of West Palm Beach. Gulfstream Goodwill runs all the Goodwill stores in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, and Okeechobee Counties, and this location in Sebastian happens to be their northernmost outpost, less than a mile from the Brevard County line (where Goodwill of Central Florida's territory begins).


     I only took two photos inside this particular Goodwill location, since there wasn't anything too exciting to see. The decor we see in here is the decor Gulfstream Goodwill used for years, only switching their decor recently to a new design. We'll be seeing more from Gulfstream Goodwill in the future, of stores with both the new and old decor designs. One nice thing about Gulfstream Goodwill is like Goodwill of Central Florida, these stores sell 95% donated goods like a normal thrift store, unlike their west coast counterparts that sell a disproportionate amount of new items in addition to the donated goods.


     We'll finish out this post with one final look toward the plaza's Publix store, a classic Publix in a classic Publix anchored community shopping center. As my favorite of all the Publix stores in the area, I hope this store pulls through and remodels to Evergreen instead of getting flattened, but the fact this location is tiny and lacks a pharmacy isn't helping its case any. Even though this isn't the most modern Publix out there, it's a nice step back into a simpler time in the company's history, and I don't mind driving out here from time to time to experience that. So even though there may be a scandalous picture of me in a Winn-Dixie on the cover of next week's National Enquirer, I'll always have a soft spot for these older Publix stores (and those addictive chicken tender Pub Subs). I like having a little supermarket variety in my life, even if some of that variety comes from a brand new Winn-Dixie and a really old Publix!

     Anyway, next time in "Confessions of a Floridian Retail Blogger" we'll talk more about my PB&J and wine problem, but until then, more adventures through the retail and supermarkets of Florida coming your way soon!

So until the next post,

AFB

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous in HoustonJune 19, 2022 at 2:20 AM

    It's interesting to see your favorite Publix to shop at, thanks for sharing. I suppose you can tell a lot about a blogger by seeing what their favorite stores are and so now we see where your taste is with Publix stores even if Publix might not be your store of choice. Maybe this is a surprise to some, but I can't say I'm surprised that Publix isn't your preferred shopping destination. After all, you are/were an Albertsons fan and so that does imply that perhaps Publix really didn't do everything for you like it seemingly does for so many other Floridians! Maybe there is some resentment that Publix had their way with Albertsons in Florida, but perhaps it's best not to get too deep into armchair retail psychology!

    While it might be a surprise to some that Publix isn't your favorite store, I don't think it's a surprise to anyone who has read anything I've written in comments or in guest blog posts that HEB is far from my favorite store even though it is the store of choice for many Houstonians. Granted, I can't blame my dislike of HEB on high prices, lol. While maybe you can find a Publix that you like within 20 miles, I'm only aware of one HEB which I think looks nice and that is in San Antonio where an upscale neighborhood objected to HEB's usual interior visual standards. This San Antonio store is certainly not within driving range for a regular grocery trip! So, yeah, at least you do have a favorite Publix in your area because I can't say I have a favorite HEB anywhere in the Houston area.

    In some ways, it's a bit surprising to see a Publix this old that's still around. Even more surprising is that Publix has allowed some retro elements, mainly the deli lighting, to stick around. Unlike with some of the Golden Girls era Winn-Dixies we've seen on AFB/MFR recently, at least the Publix mostly looks modern even with some retro features lingering around. I can see why this store would be your favorite. It's a mix of retro and modern. I would actually be disappointed if this store got nEvergreen, but seeing how I'm unlikely to shop here, it's not that my opinion carries much weight here, lol. I would have to guess that this store will get nEvergreen at some point if it isn't replaced outright. Knowing Publix, that is surely an option.

    Is it just me or does the terrazzo floor here, aside from that mismatching produce area, have more of a pebble-y look to it than the usual Publix floor? Maybe that was just common with older Publixes?

    I wonder if Publix has ever considered using pharmacy trailers for their stores which don't have in-store pharmacies. HEB has done this at a few smaller town locations such as this one in Falfurrias, Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/i6HRba1MFExbLusg8

    Actually, if you look at the store there, it's quite retro as well. It's not the most retro HEB I've seen, but it seems HEB might be using very well aged department signage at that store with only modest attempts to modernize it via repainting it. I really can't imagine Publix using pharmacy trailers like HEB does since the two chains seem to have rather divergent ideas for what is deemed acceptable, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous in HoustonJune 19, 2022 at 3:27 AM

      Oh, please ignore my comment about the terrazzo in the produce department. I got your post mixed up with Sing Oil Blog's post down below. Aside from that, the terrazzo at this location still does look a bit different to me from more modern Publixes!

      Delete
    2. Although this store still uses a concrete-style terrazzo, many of the 1980's stores feature a darker pattern around the perimeter of the store and a lighter pattern in the grocery aisles. So you are correct that this store's terrazzo looks different from more modern Publixes!

      Delete
    3. Publix has its pluses, but I tend to find myself shopping there less frequently than I do other grocery stores in the area, especially of late. Albertsons and Publix were the two closest grocery stores to me when I was younger, which is why I happened to spend a lot of time at both. My local Albertsons happened to be a Grocery Palace store, which is why I always liked going there over any other grocery store in the area, as I always liked that decor! However, I have a soft spot for these older Publix stores like #287 in this post. These stores take me back to a much simpler time for Publix, when Publix was just a small Floridian grocery chain trying to make it against the big guys like Winn-Dixie and Albertsons (boy how times have changed!) I like the look and feel of shopping in these older stores too, as they feel more quaint compared to the modern designs Publix uses. Overall though, I do tend to fall into the group of people who would like more grocery options in Florida, as I like variety in my grocery stores!

      Yes, I've learned you're not the biggest HEB fan in the world, even though HEB is pretty much the Publix of Texas! From what I understand, HEB's stores tend to vary in size, format, and product offering quite a bit, while Publix tries to be a lot more consistent with those features. That's too bad that the nicer HEB stores are out in San Antonio, but since that's HEB's hometown, it makes sense those stores would be kept up better. 20 miles is a bit of a drive for grocery shopping, but when you find a store you like, it can be worth it!

      There are still a number of 1980's (and even older) Publix stores around, but they are slowly being phased out for more modern designs. It will be years before Publix can get rid of all of them, but I still like to cover as many older Publix stores as I can while on the road, as I know corporate seems to have a vengeance against them. Publix does a good job hiding/covering over retro elements, but I've seen a few slip by before if you know what to look for. I like the nice mix of retro and modern though, as this nearly 40 year old Publix still looks quite nice today! I'd much rather see Evergreen end up in this store than seeing it flattened though.

      Publix does have 2 or 3 stores out there that have pharmacies in separate storefronts or buildings, but those are rare cases usually involving Publix trying to slip a pharmacy into a more modern store that (for whatever reason) never opened with one originally. Publix usually tries for something more permanent looking than a trailer though in those rare cases, so I don't think we'll ever see Publix try something to the extent HEB did in that example!

      Delete
  2. Scandal! Floridian Retail Blogger and Publix Fanatic Doesn’t Shop at Publix!

    Although you may prefer some cheaper options when shopping for groceries, congratulations on your 175-store milestone! I’m sure you have still spent plenty of money with Publix during those visits, after all.
    I find it interesting how this store and #308 share a very similar awning structure over the vestibule, and I wonder if the boxy part on this store was added later in its life. Also, the old #308 shopping center certainly looks depressing! I almost think an abandoned center could look better!

    As for the vestibule of this store, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was enclosed after the store opened because the transom windows over the exterior doors are a different style than the ones over the interior doors. They are also a few inches taller than the adjacent windows, and therefore taller than the interior set of doors. I would think these would have matched between the two sets of doors had they all been original.

    I’m also glad you were able to get a picture of the checkout trellis. Since I have only seen one, I’m also not exactly sure of their original purpose. I have found a couple of old pictures of them, including this one, which makes it look like they just had plants hanging between them or possibly a few banners hanging from them. I’ve also never come across a light fixture like the one you saw in the deli, so I’m glad you were able to document it! I have seen Publix use a similar style of backlit ceiling in the bakeries of their 1980’s/1990’s stores, so maybe this was a common feature that was removed from most delis. I also noticed how the ceiling in the “multipurpose nook” of Publix #335 still had the mirrored dropped ceiling structure. Originally, the tiles would have also been mirrored which created a really cool effect!

    Grocery stores love to inspire some great wine pairings! (I still wonder when I will come across a store where wine is paired with something like Pampers though.) At least this combination makes sense to me (As I used to frequent a store with this same aisle 12 layout). Also, Publix just wants to keep their grape jelly next to their adult grape juice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Publix #113 had the same ceiling light fixture over the deli. It also had the same seafood and deli department tile as #388 still has. I'd imagine these were installed in the 1988-1989 remodel of #113.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully I dodged a bullet on this one, as the tabloids were more concerned with this retail related nonsense this week (the URL says it all): https://torontosun.com/entertainment/celebrity/broke-amber-heard-spotted-hunting-for-bargains-at-tj-maxx

      Thanks, and eventually I'm going to hit the 200 store mark too at the rate I'm going! Interestingly, there was one road trip I did that involved about 5 Publix stores, and a cereal I liked was on BOGO that week. By the end of that trip, I was very well stocked up on cereal for a good long while!

      The boxy part of #287's facade matches the look of the rest of the shopping center, so I'd have thought it was original, but I've never seen any really old photos of #287 to confirm what it looked like way back when. #308's shopping center has not aged well, and it shows in person. That place is super depressing, and the feel is even worse in person!

      At least there seems to be some evidence that the vestibule isn't original, which is what I was leaning towards. If the vestibule is a later addition, Publix did a really good job of making it blend in with the rest of the building though!

      I've seen the checkout trellis here, at #172, and at #371, as well as inside abandoned #187, but those are the only in-person examples I can recall right now. I guess #412 had a very deluxe version of the trellis, so I wouldn't be surprised if these older stores just got a toned-down decorative one with vines as seen at that link (and I'm not going to question what was going on in that image!) I've seen that bakery lighting you mention also, so maybe the deli lighting seen here in #287 was more common at one point. However, #287 and that old photo from #113 you found are the only examples I know of showing that light. That's also interesting to know about the mirrored drop ceiling structure and tiles!

      I've seen some Publix stores with the wine section in some pretty strange spots, so who knows what we'll come across! And know I know why my PB&J sandwiches have been so soggy lately - I grabbed my grape jelly from the wrong side of the aisle!

      Delete
  3. Seeing this Publix reminded me of the ones my parents and I shopped at when I was a kid, as well as the one I worked at as a young adult (it relocated to a new building 2 years into my employment there). I do have a vague remembrance of the 80s décor package that Publix was sporting in that video you linked above. I remember it was in use until around 1991, when the coral, turquoise, and grey/ wavy pastels were phased in (I sort of remember witnessing the transition to the latter décor package) Oddly enough, the [former] Coconut Creek location still had the 80s decor package well into 1996! It’s neat seeing Publixes of that vintage still standing…hopefully they’ll leave this one alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get nostalgic over Publix stores from this era too. By the time we moved to Florida most of them had been remodeled to Wavy Pastel, so I never got to see one still hanging around in original 1980's decor form. The Wavy Pastel decor did debut in 1991, as it was designed to be used in stores opened outside of Florida. The older decor package was very Floridian and included the outline of Florida and Florida references in it, which wouldn't have gone over well in the upcoming Georgia expansion. It's nice to hear your memories of Publix and the older design too, and that you got to got to work for Publix for a while as well. I have some photos of the former Coconut Creek Publix as it looks in the present to post eventually too, although it would have been interesting seeing that store with the 1980's decor fully in-tact!

      Delete
  4. Great post (and I'll be sure to pick up that next edition of the National Enquirer, also!) Thanks for sharing your favorite Publix with us, as well as your PB&J and wine habit :P I believe I've mentioned this before, but I don't really shop at Kroger all that much, either. I've been shopping there more since moving (because Walmart isn't as close anymore nor is it as fun to shop at as my old store), but Kroger definitely isn't the best... I feel like I should note I experienced a Hy-Vee for the first time recently (no pictures though), and it blew Kroger out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I can assure you the blurry figure in the National Enquirer photo is not me! :) The habits retail exploration has brought on to me! I guess Jackson isn't too far off from Memphis with Kroger and Walmart being the only to major options for grocery shopping, so you don't really have too many options in your area. My shopping experience at Kroger has been limited so I can't say much, but from what others say the service and overall shopping atmosphere of the store isn't the best. It would be nice of someone new come into the Jackson area for you (be it Publix or Hy-Vee), as it would give you another choice. That's neat you got to experience a Hy-Vee though. I've heard lots of good things about Hy-Vee, and I think they'll win over Memphis with their new store when that opens.

      Delete