Thursday, September 28, 2023

Disco Kroger / Disco Publix Update - Atlanta, GA

Courtesy Publix - Planned Store #1867 Façade

Publix #1867

Buckhead Landing

3330 Piedmont Road Northeast

Atlanta, GA 30305

Former Kroger #259 (Disco Kroger)

I hope to have some truly fresh content to share with y'all in the coming days, but I wanted to take a quick break from the norm and publish a bit of new information I just learned.  If you remember the series of posts from Retail Retell & yours truly covering Atlanta's famed Disco Kroger while in operation (and my post covering its auction), you'll also likely remember me mentioning how it was scheduled to be replaced with a shiny new Publix store.


Well, plans for Publix #1867 have officially gone live and the new store will be Georgia's first 55M, similar to what HR2012TPA showed us in Tampa back in March.

Courtesy Publix - Planned Store #1867 Equipment Plan

That means that Georgia will soon have its second POURS bar (after the one at GreenWise Market #1698 closed in 2021), which I'm very excited about.  It's nice to see one feature of the GreenWise Markets coming into more Publix stores, and even more exciting to see how the 55M overall has essentially stretched the original GWM floorplan.

On top of this new 55M, I've also seen where at least five of these flagship stores are scheduled to open in Kentucky in the coming years in addition to at least four of these stores in Florida.  Needless to say, I can't wait to visit one for myself!

Until next time,

- The Sing Oil Blogger

4 comments:

  1. In addition to this former Kroger site, it seems Publix will be using one of their fancier formats as they make their push closer into the land of Kroger in Kentucky. Atlanta is one thing, but it'll be interesting to see how Publix does that far north. I don't think Publix will be helping themselves if they use nEvergreen, but it is not like Artisan or anything recent from Kroger aside from Urban Mix is anything to get excited about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to imagine that the Kentucky move is the reason this prototype exists. Publix did a similar thing with the massive 65N stores before moving into Georgia in the early-1990's, and I'm already seeing a lot of similarities between that move and this one. I have a feeling that once the first few stores open, Publix is going to move quickly in Kentucky (especially around Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati) to kill off the smaller players and try to take market share away from Kroger on its home turf. I forget the exact number, but there are roughly 50 unannounced Publix store numbers which likely includes a big chunk of new Kentucky locations. They had to endure losses for several years, but that plan seemed to work out pretty well in Atlanta.

      Also, I recently learned that both Artisan and Evergreen share a paint color in common: Sherwin Williams' Agreeable Gray. Evergreen may not be the best interior scheme Publix has come up with, but the company doesn't seem to be showing any signs of letting up on the package in the near future.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous in HoustonOctober 1, 2023 at 8:23 PM

      Disagreeable Gray! That is good research finding that Artisan and nEvergreen use the same color from Sherwin-Williams. According to that S-W link, Disagreeable Gray is their most popular color! Gee, no wonder people are so angry these days, they must have Disagreeable Gray in their homes, offices, and supermarkets! I'm angry about it and Artisan isn't even all that popular in Houston Kroger stores. For better or for worse, Remix seems more common here for renovations, lol.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I know I'd take Artisan any day over Remix after seeing some of Retail Retell's pictures! I've never personally seen a Remix store (especially considering how the Atlanta Division doesn't appear to have a single one), but the cheaply installed and often off-centered lettering would drive me up the wall!

      If you are curious, here is a screenshot of the Artisan color scheme, while here is a list of the colors used with Evergreen.

      Delete