Sunday, July 23, 2023

Publix #394 - Courtyard Shops at Wellington - Wellington, FL

Photo courtesy of Patrick P. on Google Maps

Publix #394 / Future Publix #1894
13880 Wellington Trace, Wellington, FL - Courtyard Shops at Wellington

Today's post is a presentation of Palm Beach County retail

     Before we even get into the subject at hand today, I'd first like to make a shoutout to blog reader John B. for sending in two complete sets of Florida county outlines to be used on AFB & MFR. If you read blogs like The Mid-South Retail Blog and Twin Tiers Retail you'll have seen this feature before, with the county outlines at the tops of each post. It's a good feature - just not one I ever got around to trying myself! We'll see how this goes, although with the way I typically structure my posts, I'm going to insert the county outlines after the first photo. That aside, let's talk about Publix:

    As far as today's post is concerned, this one is going to be a bit unusual compared to one of my normal Publix tours. The Publix we'll be looking at today, store #394 in Wellington (a western suburb of West Palm Beach) closed for business on July 8, 2023. I only got word of that closure announcement from The Sing Oil Blogger and GeorgiaPubDude with only a few weeks notice, so unfortunately I wasn't able to visit this location before it closed for good. However, I was able to visit this store in the short period following its closure and prior to demolition for its replacement, so my photos of this store will showcase it in a weird transitional state - supermarket purgatory, I suppose, as this building awaits its final fate.


     Publix #394 opened for business on October 18, 1990 as part of a small retail cluster in the middle of Wellington, a grouping of two shopping centers across the street from each other that somewhat serves as the city's central business district. Like a lot of communities in Florida, Wellington is a sprawling primarily residential suburbia with a few shopping centers scattered around, planned out in the 1970's on former farm and pasture land. Publix #394 was actually Wellington's second Publix store, following the 1982 opening of store #243 at the Town Square of Wellington shopping center a few miles east of here. Store #243 met the same fate that #394 is about to back in 2004, so Wellington is no stranger to Publix's modernization efforts.


     While store #394 was a typical early 1990's 49N model inside, it received a really fancy facade that matched the theme of the shopping center. The arches, brickwork, and light sconces make this feel like a much more premium location, and considering the location, it was a fitting design choice. While Wellington isn't as opulent like the nearby Island of Palm Beach, this is a nice area that's home to a number of well-off folks, so Publix decided to class this store up a bit more than usual.


     Even at 33 years old, this store still looked immaculate. From the outside, this place doesn't even look that old! Inside it was more apparent we were looking at an older Publix location, but the building was still quite pristine inside too.

Photo courtesy of The Palm Beach Post

     One of the reasons I decided to swing by this store while I was in the area was to get a few photos of its tile mural, seen above (and you can see some angles of it in Google Street View here). As you know, the Publix tile murals are a dying breed and one of my favorite retail architectural features of all time. The mural at this store was one of Pati Mills' later works, from the era where she began to incorporate more local flare into her murals (compared to the generic murals of the cornucopia and wine bottles she had done earlier). For local flare, Pati created a golf course scene for this store's mural (Wellington is home to a number of famous country clubs), depicting a golfer making a swing, as well as another man in a small boat in a swampy area (which I believe is to represent Wellington's proximity to the Everglades - although he could just be out there trying to fish golf balls out of the lake, which is apparently a big thing). Since the interior of the store wasn't anything too out of the ordinary for a Publix from this era (and something I'm not too sad I missed out on), I was hoping I could get a few photos of the mural for my archives so that would be preserved. However - I made an interesting discovery during my visit:


     The mural was already gone! As soon as I pulled into the store's empty parking lot I noticed the mural was missing, but since I was already here, I had to get out and take a closer look. All that was left of the mural was a blank wall and a white powdery mess. While I would have loved to see the mural, I'm glad someone saved it, but this sight still raises a lot of questions:

1. Who took the time and effort to remove the mural from the wall? Was it a very dedicated store employee who wanted to see it live on? Or maybe some nutty Publix fan who really liked it and wanted to see it saved? (Don't look at me this time!) Possibly, could someone from corporate have saved it after years of flattening these with the buildings, a little remorse after destroying so many other murals?

2. How easily did the mural come off the wall? Publix has said for years the individual tiles were nearly impossible to remove in-tact due to the way they were installed. Clearly that's not the case, as someone got this mural off (although we don't know what kind of condition the tiles may have been in as they came off the wall).

3. Is this the work of the same person who took the mural from Publix #202 after it closed last year? I drove by Publix #202 shortly after it closed and noticed that store's mural was missing as well just days before its demolition. Due to what I saw at #202 previously, I was both surprised and not surprised by my discovery here in Wellington, but it did arouse a lot more questions, and more suspicion that corporate is the one removing the murals. I thought #202 could have been a one-off, but now I'm beginning to think there's a trend here...

4. Someone took the effort to save the mural, so where is it now? Did someone remove this for their own personal display at home? Is it going to be reassembled elsewhere for public display around town (or turned into stepping stones)? Is one of Pati Mills' children going around trying to save some of her works now, even though Pati seemed somewhat indifferent to the fate of most of the murals? Does Publix corporate have a closet full of broken tile pieces after years of regret from destroying numerous murals prior? It would be neat to see the mural reappear in some form on the new store, but I do know that #202's mural didn't reappear at its replacement, so I doubt it will reappear here. Hopefully it reappears somewhere though.


     We might not be looking at a tile mural anymore, but instead a wall of old grout that once held all the tiles to the wall. Whoever removed the tiles did a pretty good job, and I'd like to know just how well all the pieces came off the wall. It looks like some of the tile trim underneath had to be sacrificed to get the mural off though, so I wonder how intensive it was removing the mural.


     While we might not know how intense the mural removal process was, I can say for a fact it was an extremely dusty process. The entire area around the left entryway was covered in a layer of white dust, and that was extremely apparent when we look at all the dust on the entry doors:


     Tile mural dust everywhere, and I'd have to guess that extension cord coming out from under the door is what was used to power the saw that took the mural off the wall. Since the cord was still out here in a pile, I must have only missed seeing the mural by a day or two, as the person who removed it still hadn't come back for their cord!


     Even though it's a little dusty, here's a look at one of the papers announcing this store's closure taped to the window, directing shoppers to four other Publix stores nearby. Even though the store had been closed for a week by the time I got here, someone still pulled up to the store thinking it was open while I was here taking pictures. I thought the guy was going to say something to me since he clearly saw me taking pictures, but he didn't as seemed more annoyed that he had to drive up the road to a different Publix store!


     Strangely enough, while everything on this side of the building was coated in a layer of white dust, someone took the time to wipe the dust away from the classic Publix logo stenciled onto the glass of the front door. At older Publix stores (typically late 1980's and early 1990's stores), both sides of the sliding doors would have had this emblem stenciled onto the glass. It's a classic Publix trait that you can still find today, however, if the doors ever get replaced or the glass breaks, the logo isn't put back on. For example, the logo was only on the left-side door on this vestibule entrance, meaning the glass was replaced at some point on the right-side door.


     Since the logo was the only part of the door not covered in dust, I took this photo through the logo for a look inside the left vestibule. As you can see, the store was being prepped for a fixtures auction, with all of the old fixtures still inside, just lined up neatly and tagged with lot numbers. It would have been fun to go to the auction preview day, but I couldn't fit that into my schedule either, so these photos through the windows will have to suffice.


     Moving around to one of the front facing windows, here's a look into the main salesfloor. From this vestibule we can see part of the store's meat and seafood department on the back wall, with the bakery out of view to the left.


     While most split-vestibule Publix stores have a small sidewalk along the front of the building, most don't have a grandiose breezeway like this! To add to the detail, Publix even included more decorative hanging sconces and even ceiling fans above the walkway, adding a classy touch. This breezeway would have made for a nice outdoor dining area, but unfortunately outdoor dining tables are pretty rare to see at a Publix from this era. However, this apparently made for a very classy smoking area!


     In the store's front window was a poster announcing the upcoming fixture auction, which concluded on July 18, 2023. By the time this post goes live the fixture pickup window will have closed, and this store will be on its way to demolition come the week of July 24th.


     Turning our attention to the windows again, here's a look through the right side vestibule into the salesfloor. From this vantage point we can see the pharmacy in the old multi-purpose nook, as well as part of the dairy arch - one of the defining features of a 49N Publix. The green paint from the deli department is visible behind some of those grocery aisles, with the check lanes extending off to my left.

Photo courtesy of Philip M. of Google Maps

     While you can see bits and pieces of the faux skylight over the check lanes in my photos, I found this really nice photo of the entire skylight someone posted to Google. I figured I'd include this photo here since I liked it, and you can see more photos of this store's interior prior to closure here.


     Besides all the carts missing, the right side vestibule doesn't look too different than when Publix was still open! The pharmacy banner still hanging from the wall adds a somewhat surreal effect to the photo, as it adds to the thought of this being just a normal average day at Publix, when really, it isn't.


     It's really a shame to see another nice Publix store meet its fate, as this building looked like it still had another 33 years left in it. However, not even the nicest of buildings are safe from Publix's bulldozers of progress...


     While I've photographed a lot of abandoned grocery stores in my travels through the years, this one was a particularly strange experience, seeing the store in this weird state of post-closure and only days away from demolition, once all the fixtures were cleared out. The overall classy aesthetic of the building didn't help either, as you'd never think a building kept this nice was only a few days away from being hauled off to the Palm Beach County Landfill!


     On my way out, I managed to capture a photo of the sign Publix posted by the road announcing this store was closed for "remodeling". I always find it funny how Publix casually refers to these tear down and rebuild projects as "remodeling", which I guess it technically is, even if I view it more like Extreme Makeover: Supermarket Edition!

Photo courtesy of The Palm Beach Post

     We'll finish off this post with a rendering I found of #394's replacement, Publix #1894. #1894 will be one of Publix's new high-end 55M prototypes, exactly like store #1808 we saw on here not too long ago. With Wellington skewing toward a higher-end demographic, a 55M will fit in well at this location, and will certainly be a much dramatic upgrade compared to what was here prior. Based off the rendering, it appears #1894 will not have as many fancy exterior design details like #394 did, opting for a slight spin on the usual modern Publix facade. It would have been nice to see some arches or light sconces thrown in to match the design of the old architecture (or the rest of the plaza), but I guess we'll just have to see what #1894 looks like when the final product opens late next year.

     Anyway, that's all I have for now, but I do have another MFR post queued up for August, which will act as a companion for an upcoming AFB post. Also, posting will resume on AFB on July 30th with a guest post, with my official return happening two weeks later on August 13th. So you have all that to look forward to, as we continue our journey to the strange and nonsensical world of Floridian supermarkets.

So until the next post,

AFB

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous in HoustonJuly 23, 2023 at 7:45 AM

    Huh, that is an unusually local Publix mural! Or maybe I should say that was an unusually local mural, who knows what has happened to the mural! Maybe it'll show up at the new Publix? Maybe it is sitting in someone's (probably very dusty) den? Who knows! But, yeah, I prefer this type of mural to murals of mountains in Florida. Those never made much sense to me, lol. I suppose there may be some value in presenting images of things which aren't in the area versus things people could see very easily in real life, like a golf course in Florida, but that still seems a bit strange to me. Can you imagine murals of mountains in Houston? I can't.

    This Publix with the light box skylight looks a lot neater, and probably classy, than what the new Publix will look with the in-store bar and nEvergreen. Oh well, it wouldn't be Publix without a warm bulldozer so that is just part of the Publix experience!

    I hope your summer vacation is going well, I look forward to seeing what you have 'in store' for us after the break. This summer has been quite productive for me! A couple of retail bloggers will know the story behind this, but I visited my first real Albertsons since 2002 just a few days ago! While it is an Albertsons with Safeway Lifestyle v3 decor, it is still an Albertsons with a Blue & Grey Market Tetris floor, a Blue & Grey Market layout, and the turntable checkstands! Oddly enough, this particular Albertsons caught on fire a couple of weeks before my trip, but as you know, it takes more than flames to keep a good Albertsons down! There was a botched roof repair to the store which caused a fire, but fortunately the fire was contained to the roof and the store was not damaged otherwise. Unfortunately, the city I visited was covered in a bit of soot and a lot of haze because an abandoned Kmart that closed in 2018 caught on fire while I was in the city and caused a four alarm fire and the Kmart building was, unlike the Albertsons, completely destroyed...not that there was much reason to save the Kmart!

    Anyway, I don't have a lot of retail photos from my trip (though I do have a few which is more than what I usually take in Houston!) so I may or may not do a blog post about my journey! If I decide not to do a post, I'll mention more about my trip in the comments in a future blog post. We'll see, but I did want to share the good news that I was able to step inside a real Albertsons for the first time in 21 years! And, yes, when I got to the entryway of the Albertsons, I did yell out in my mind "It's my store!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pati Mills' local-themed mural era was the best, as I liked seeing her interpretations of various local scenes for all these Publix stores. Sadly this theme only came about toward the very end of the mural era, as I feel the cornucopia/mountain scenes were much more common overall. I still can't figure out the message of the mountain scene, unless it was supposed to be a generic (though scenic) farming scene to go along with all the depictions of food. It seems like the story of these murals and their mysterious new fates bring up more questions each time I see one, although, it's that what art is supposed to do, make you ask a lot of questions about it?!

      Publix did try hanging lightboxes in some open-ceiling stores built at the turn of the millennium, but that phase didn't last long, and most of those have long been removed as those stores remodeled.

      My summer vacation has been nice - nothing too crazy though, as my visit to the Wellington Publix and some surrounding stores was the furthest I've ventured these last few weeks. However, it sounds like you've been doing a lot more intensive traveling than I have! I'm glad to hear you've made it back to an Albertsons for the first time in over 20 years, although Albertsons has really changed a lot since 2002. The classic Albertsons interiors from the time they were in Houston are really hard to find anymore, although a handful still exist scattered about. Still, seeing the Blue and Gray remnants amongst the Lifestyle v3 hopefully kept the Albertsons feeling alive! I think I know what city you were in recently, as I saw an article about a big Kmart fire a few days ago. Thankfully the fire at the Albertsons wasn't as bad as the Kmart one, although a 1990's Albertsons building probably has better bones than a dilapidated old Kmart did! I look forward to hearing more about your trip and retail discoveries!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous in HoustonJuly 26, 2023 at 12:03 AM

      I have decided to make a blog post about my travel adventure and the retail I visited while touring a distant place. Keep an eye out for it as a guest blog post in the coming days on a retail blog I know you read that I've never done a guest blog post on before! It sounds like you're familiar with the Kmart story so you probably know which blog I'm talking about, but I'll try to let it be a surprise for anyone who doesn't know!

      The Albertsons I went to had Albertsons Legacy decor before getting Safeway Lifestyle v3 decor probably very recently because there aren't any photos of it online, at least on Google Maps, which shows it with Lifestyle decor. While Legacy is authentic semi-modern Albertsons decor, it really isn't decor I've personally seen in an Albertsons so I don't think seeing the store with Lifestyle v3 was that much of a problem. The only Randall's we have left with Lifestyle v3 decor doesn't really look anything like the Blue & Grey Market Albertsons so I wouldn't confuse it for that either. If nothing else, so much else in the store was from the Blue & Grey Market era that it felt like a real Albertsons...or Krogertsons/Food Town at least given the strong legacy of Albertsons in Houston, lol. It was neat being in an authentic 1990s Albertsons and I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity because who knows what the future will be for Albertsons given the merger possibilities.

      Delete
    3. I'm looking forward to reading that! It will certainly be interesting seeing you write a post for that blog, as it's not one we'd expect to see you blogging on! If you ever make it back to Florida, you're always welcome to write about your travels either here or on AFB too, depending on what you see.

      I'm surprised a Legacy store remodeled already, although I guess that decor has been around for a while now. That part of the county where I think you were is pretty well-known for converting Albertsons stores to Safeway, so I'm surprised the store didn't change brands in this most recent remodel, especially since the Safeway decor was installed (even though other Albertsons-branded stores also use that decor). At least seeing the store with Lifestyle v3 wasn't too much of a disappointment, and that enough classic Albertsons relics were left behind to give the store a somewhat authentic feel!

      Delete
    4. Anonymous in HoustonJuly 28, 2023 at 1:32 AM

      Ha, the funny thing is that although the part of the country I visited is quite a bit further from Houston than Florida is, the area I visited is almost entirely a Kroger-Safeway/Albertsons area. Those are grocers which are familiar to me and Houstonians, but the grocers in Florida today are almost entirely foreign to someone in this part of Texas! Oh well, at least Floridians and Houstonians can share memories of Albertsons and Food Lions past!

      I'm not sure when I'll make it back to Florida, but when/if I do make it back there, I'll be sure to report my observations about Publix and Winn-Dixie! My past trips to Florida have been quite eye-opening as I've visited grocers for the first time there, Publix, Albertsons, and Winn-Dixie. The Winn-Dixie experience was eye-opening in a bad way, lol, but I have memories (albeit rather faded ones) of enjoying Publix and Albertsons. Obviously, I got to know Albertsons much better, albeit briefly, here in Houston.

      Stay tuned to HHR for Houston Albertsons coverage! August's The Year of Kroger post will come from another guest blogger. The guest blogger is probably someone you're not familiar with, but the guest blogger is covering his local Houston Krogertsons and I think you'll really like the post! I've gotten a sneak peak at it and I think you'll really want to see it. Also, I'll be doing a guest blog post at HHR about a Grocery Palace Randalbertsons, which was supposed to be a Food Lion until people in the local neighborhood protested Food Lion being in their neighborhood with picket signs and all, in the coming weeks. It probably won't go up really soon, but keep an eye out for it in the next month or two.

      Yes, in the area I was in, most of the Albertsons have been converted to Safeway...including some very recent conversions. I actually visited a Grocery Palace Safertsons while I was up there, one that was converted only a mere handful of months ago. Most of the Grocery Palace elements were wiped away at this store during the Albertsons era (it also had Legacy decor), but now it is a Lifestyle v3 Safeway. I was left rather nonplussed about that Safertsons. It didn't feel like a Safeway. In fact, it felt far less Safeway-like than the aforementioned Houston Randalbertsons, but it also didn't feel entirely Albertsons-like either and I think that would have been the case even when it had Legacy decor. This is because so much of Grocery Palace was wiped away, but I will say that it was obvious even still that it was a former Grocery Palace.

      If you're wondering why the Albertsons I went to remained an Albertsons even with it getting Lifestyle decor, I can only guess it is because the store is only ~8 miles from a major Albertsons DC (it was an Albertsons DC even prior to the merger, Safeway has a major DC in a suburban part of this city....right next door to a Kroger DC!). There is another Albertsons in the city, one only 1.5 miles from the DC, which was also recently remodeled with Lifestyle v3 and it also remained as an Albertsons. Also, there are Safeways in both areas nearby so perhaps the combination of people having loyalty to the Albertsons name and Albertsons not wanting to flood the area with Safeways has something to do with these two Albertsons remaining as an Albertsons. Now, granted, I don't know if anyone is fooled into thinking that an Albertsons in this area isn't a Safeway and vice versa, but we also know people have strange loyalties when it comes to supermarkets...just ask Publix shoppers who have a favorite when two Publixes are across the street from one another!

      I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to the post. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well! I know that might sound strange, but it'll be strange seeing a post from me on this blog in question and I think the guest post will be a nice travel diary for me of sorts!

      Delete
  2. While that's unfortunate I didn't find out about this store's closure until it was almost too late for you to visit, at least you got to see it before it was too late! Based on the pictures I saw, it looks like the only notable features you missed were the original light diffuser over the freezer aisle and, of course, the tile mural.

    I may not be able to answer some of your questions, but I can guarantee you that I was not the nutty Publix fan who saved the mural! I'm curious if we'll see it reappear on the new store or in a different part of town. I can also tell you for a fact that it didn't come off intact—I'd imagine each tile came off individually, lol! Now I wish we knew the fate of the murals at #220 (since they were also locally oriented)!

    I could easily picture somebody I know driving up to Publix the week after it closed, so I'm sure the man who drove up while you were there was not the only one! He probably figured you were just taking pictures for the construction crews anyway.

    I've actually been to a 49N that used the breezeway out front for some outdoor seating, but I agree that most of these stores only have a boring narrow sidewalk. What I haven't seen before is a Publix with the ca. 1972 logo on the door; maybe that was just a Florida thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one bad thing about Publix closures - they sneak up on you, because Publix is really quiet about announcing them outside of signs at the effected store itself. I didn't even know this store was being targeted for replacement, although it seems this project has been announced publicly for a while, as I saw an article from last year mentioning that Publix was interested in replacing this store - I just never caught that news. Oh well, I've seen a lot of 49Ns in my travels, and the first store I visited this particular day was also a 49N, so even though I missed out on this one a different one will be preserved.

      I never know with you, as you have driven 8 hours one-way before to save random pieces of a Publix! :) If anything ever progresses with #215's replacement project, I'll have to ask some questions about what will happen to that store's mural, just to see if it sheds any light on what happened at #202 and #394. It would be interesting to know if the Publix mural savior stopped by #220 as well, but I guess that will remain a mystery unless that mural reappears somewhere!

      I'm sure the guy I saw wasn't the only one who didn't realize this store had closed, and it's not the first time I've encountered such an experience while photographing a closed store before.

      Publix stopped putting the 1972 logo on the doors right around the time Publix began expanding outside of Florida, which is probably why you've never seen that trait elsewhere. I've been to a few early 47N stores with the logos on the door, but I think this trait was scrapped around the time the split vestibule style stores were retired. Maybe some of the oldest GA stores had the logos on the door, but those could have eventually been lost as the doors or glass were replaced.

      Delete
    2. Some of the GA stores did put the Publix logo over the doors in early stores. #89, #431, and #468 have those logos over their doors.

      Delete
    3. I was about to call you crazy, but then I realized you were talking about the backlit sign over the door rather than having the logo etched into the glass. I still don't think any of the Georgia stores had the etched logo on the door, do you know of any?

      That being said, I know some of the 54T stores had the etched logo in the balcony glass, but that's different.

      Delete
  3. Publix bought the shopping center in 2015:
    https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2015/11/20/publix-buys-wellington-shopping-center-for-53m.html

    Whenever Publix buys a shopping center, that's almost always a sure sign they're doing a knockdown, especially since new stores are considerably bigger and buying it gives them the leverage to kick out or negotiate relocation of neighboring tenants. On the other hand, you can tell Publix doesn't own a shopping center when its separate liquor store is a few bays down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - I'm sure owning the entire property makes these rebuild projects a lot easier than trying to negotiate such a project through a 3rd party landlord. I know Publix has been buying a lot of the shopping centers in which they have stores, and these projects are probably one of the factors that play into that decision.

      Delete
    2. I think I counted 7 of the 13 Tallahassee Publix stores as being corporate owned, with the most recent acquisition before the GreenWise being the Forest Village store back in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Forest Village is replaced at some point, but the store just remodeled to Evergreen last year. The other six stores seem to be in little danger of being replaced.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely with you on wondering the answers to all those questions about the mural removals! Sorry you didn't get to see it, but at least it was saved -- for what purpose, and in what condition, we don't know, however. That's also very interesting how the Publix logo on the glass door has its dust wiped away by somebody -- definitely some questions raised here!

    I agree that the old architecture seems nice, and not as old on first impression as it really was in age. It's a shame the new design won't carry over some of those same classier elements. And yep -- totally agree on how crazy it is for Publix to casually consider a giant project like this just a "remodel"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that after visiting a lot of stores, I leave with more questions than I originally went in with! I'd love to know what's going on with the murals at these last few stores that closed with one. If someone took the effort to remove it, I'd like to think that person would want to display it somewhere again, and I'd love to know where. The dust wiped off the logo made this situation all the more mysterious!

      It would have been nice to see the new store better match the architecture of the old one (which would also tie into the design of the rest of the shopping center as well). But I guess it's not a Publix "remodel" if the entire design of the new store isn't totally different!

      Delete