Monday, August 12, 2019

A brief visit to Volusia Mall


While on my beach trip this past weekend, my wife and I took a stroll through the exciting, or once exciting Volusia Mall of Daytona Beach. I have to say, I really like this mall. Sadly I didn't get many pictures while here, but of the ones I did take, I hope you get a better idea of what "Speedway City" Florida's mall is like






Here's what the entrance looks like. Pretty nice! 


Every time I walk in a mall, I feel like I've been sent back into the late 90's or earlier. The Volusia Mall did just that for me. The design of the ceiling looks pure 90's. I can imagine this place being absolutely packed 20 years ago. Today, while this mall is still decently busy, it's certainly not hard to walk through here without bumping into other shoppers. 
There's the one of two Dillard's this mall now has (kind of like Oaks Mall in Gainesville). 



 Here's the walkway leading up to Volusia Mall's 2nd biggest anchor, JC Penney. While JC Penney is  a nice store, I was for more interested in visiting Sears. I was excited to maybe come here and pick up some of those plain tees that I used to be able to get at the Gainesville Oaks Mall Sears for like $3.00/ shirt but when I got to the other side the mall to see to see the softer side.....................


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How can they do this to me! First Gainesville, then Altamonte Springs, then Panama City, and now Daytona Beach! I still can't shop at Sears! Darn it! This Sears must have closed fairly recently because all the lights are still on in here and the signage is still here (what threw me off)! 


To finish off my sadly short post, here's a dismal look at one of my favorite formerly popular retail stores, which is all closed up for good. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10yFgxeyi5SemKryyVYAPsf-8cf3qJTQi






I hope my post wasn't too depressing. 
As we document the demise of some of our favorite retail stores, we must remember that there are more important things, many more important things to think about. Off hand, I can't think of what they are, but I'm sure there's something. 
Haha!

 Have a great week and I will look forward to seeing posts from the others on here. Maybe you'll have more luck finding an open Sears than I did! 

3 comments:

  1. "As we document the demise of some of our favorite retail stores, we must remember that there are more important things, many more important things to think about. Off hand, I can't think of what they are, but I'm sure there's something." LOL!! 😂

    Sadly, no other open Sears near me either. Nearest one is about 160 miles away... and my nearest Kmart is 260 miles away, and in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Volusia Mall Sears closed in March 2019 during the bankruptcy. I didn't make it here for any pictures though. Even with the empty Sears, this mall still seems to be holding its own, which is a good sign. Anyway, if you want to come across a still-open Sears, your closest one would now be one of the two remaining Jacksonville stores (Orange Park Mall and The Avenues Mall) or one of the two Orlando area stores (Florida Mall and Oviedo Mall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those malls aren't terribly far from me.

      Delete